47. Black and Mutt

The thick familiarity was uncanny. The silent pleads were like music and he didn't know how to react. Black stood in front of the cowering human, displaying his unwavering power by simply existing.

When Mutt appeared behind Black, staring at the human with uncertainty. Who was she? What happened in the mere 10 minutes he wasn't around?

Questions upon questions silenced almost instantly when she lifted her head. Despite the tears in her eyes, the fearful look in those familiar (colour) eyes was enough to make him inhale sharply.

"Y/N?" Mutt whispered in disbelief.

Black looked over his shoulder, narrowing his sockets at him. Silently telling him to shut his mouth before she spewed questions.

Mutt clicked his mouth shut. His shoulders tensed as Black turned back to the human resembling someone he once knew.

The difference was the eyepatch. The colourful bruising underneath it, the swelling underneath her eye. Mutt knew his brother saw it, felt the same familiarity within her eyes - eye.

"How...do you know my name?" You asked, your brow awkwardly furrowing due to the string holding up your eyepatch.

"IT IS COMMON. DON'T MISTAKE IT." Black easily lied through his teeth. His hands balled into a tight fist as he took a step forth, he paused immediately as you tucked your legs closer to your body. Your shivering stopped for a second then continued when Black stopped.

Mutt wanted to do so many things. When was the last time he saw your face? He knew it wasn't you but the similarities were uncanny it nearly made him sick.

Enraged with the thought of someone hurting you filled his bones but he could only stare. You weren't you , you were someone else . You belonged to someone else and he had to live with that fact.

For a second, Mutt couldn't do anything but stare. He knew it made you uncomfortable with the way you shifted and avoided eye contact, but he couldn't help it. He was staring at the exact copy of a friend long since passed.

And he knew for a fact that his brother felt the exact same way.

The sinister feeling had faded and all Black could feel was a void of emotions.

He was the reason you perished, after all.

"Sure." You muttered, lowering your gaze to the ground. "...are you new?" You asked with a whisper.

"NEW TO TOWN. YES." Black replied instantly, he lightly clicked his heel to the pavement in mild frustration. Too quick, too eager.

"U-uhm..." Biting your lip from the crack in your voice, you lightly shook your head. "You two look like you're.. hehe.. s-seeing bones ."

It took a second to register the joke, no matter how weak it was, Mutt couldn't help but chuckle humourlessly.

"UGH, OF COURSE." Black shook his skull in distaste. "COME, HUMAN. WE'RE GOING TO HOLD YOU CAPTIVE."

"Uhm.. no?" You looked unsure - a surprised gasp escaping your lips as Mutt easily appeared in front of you in a crouched position. He leaned forward to examine your eyepatch, now that he was closer he easily saw the bruises and light scarring.

"no choice." He mumbled, taking your arm and forcing you to stand despite your protests.

"YOU HAVE THE SCENT OF THOSE INCOMPETENT SKELETONS. I DOUBT YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO WE ARE!" Black huffed as he turned and walked out of the alleyway.

"c'mon honeysuckle." He muttered, letting go of your arm and gestured with his chin to follow after his brother.

Wiping away the tears stuck to your eyelashes, your nose wrinkled as you muttered something underneath your breath and reluctantly followed after Black.