10. Spider Dance

Chapter Summary: You know a heart like yours can't stand a chance, got your marionette strings in my hands.

"Thank you so much, Miss Alphys!" You spoke, grabbing the pamphlet filled of missed assignments. By the looks of it, you'll be up later than ever to catch up. You might even have to take some homework to the restaurant to finish during your breaks.

You pursed your lips. That's right, two more business days of working at Muffet's then you'll be hopping to the restaurant to work. Waitressing wasn't a 'forever' job, it was something to keep everything rolling, to give you at least a little bit of spending money.

"N-no problem..!" Alphys' steady smile made your shoulders drop, she is too cute to be in this world!

You hugged the missed assignments close to your chest, not sure if you were mentally prepared to work until you dropped, literally or figuratively. Either way, you were determined to get this packet finished and handed in!

"E-er..Y/n.. I-If you don't mind me a-asking—o-of course you don't have to answer! I-I don't wa-want to m-make you uncomfortable—m-maybe I shouldn't a-ask?" The small monster muttered under her breath, seemingly thinking out loud about your reaction to her unknown question. Your hold on the packet as you smiled patiently at her.

"I don't mind," You spoke. Shrugging your shoulders at her surprised look. "It's the least I could do."

She avoided your gaze, choosing to focus on her talons nervously. "What...what happened?"

You froze, not sure how to answer that since you didn't exactly know the answer either. "My brothers were in town," You forced a laugh. God, it felt dirty to lie to a friend like this.

You wondered how your friend handles it.

Shaking that thought away. The look she gave you meant she didn't buy it, but thankfully decided to let it go. You gestured to the packet. "Thanks again. You're literally a lifesaver." You grinned, waving goodbye as you exited her lab before she could reply.

You sighed loudly when entering the halls. Classes were over, you got extra work piling up. What a great week to start a new school year. Yaay..

Checking the time, you cursed softly and quickly sprinted to your car. You only had an hour to shower, get dressed and get to Muffet's before your shift starts.

Unlocking your door, you ignored the buzz of your phone as you shoved the key into the ignition and sped down the road, making sure you were under the speed limit—you can't afford a speeding ticket, dammit!

After several stops at red lights, you were running up the stairs to your apartment. The adrenaline coursing through your veins making the run up stairs less tiring than you had thought.
Shoving the key into the lock, you dropped the key into the bowl and made a beeline towards your room—ignoring Red and your best friend on the couch as you threw the packet on your bed, grabbed a fresh pair of clothes and a towel.

You paused, patting your pants for your phone. Oh right. You left it in the car. With a sigh, you poked your head down the hallway and up the clock. Half an hour and you'll have to sprint down the street to get to Muffet's on time. Grabbing your clothes and towel, you hopped in the cold shower—screamed at the coldness, nearly slipping over a bar soap, knocking things down, and singing a off-tune song later, you were wiping down your damp body when a knock on the bathroom door finally made you pause during your rush.

You blinked at the white door, wrapping the towel around your body and walked towards it. Lifting your hand, you knocked back.

"Who's there?" Red's voice mused.