17. wake up call

Chapter Summary: After your shift, you get a very embarrassing wake up call.

Hannah shook her head, tapping the ruler on the small of your back and traced upwards. Shivering from the contact, you straighten yourself out and took steady but quickly steps. Making sure your shoes barely clicked against the tiled floors.

"Forgive me for saying, but you look like you are walking on a tightrope." Hannah said, crossing her arms over her chest and stifled the giggle with her hand.

"Do try to relax." She shook her head, tapping your ankle with the ruler. "Walk on your toes then gently lower your heel. That way you won't make too much noise."

You pursed your lips, holding the tray that was topped with four wine glasses filled with water. Once again, you went back to the starting line and walked forward. This time keeping up with Hannah's advice. The giggle from the tanned woman made you frown.

"You aren't walking on tiptoes, Y/n. Here," she grabbed the tray and demonstrated her walk. "Try something like this. It shouldn't prove to be too difficult."

"This feels like a modeling gig. And I'm not even that pretty to be a model." You muttered under your breath and took the tray back. Hannah swatted your forehead gently with her finger.

"Nonsense. You are qualified to be a model if you so please. You <em>are</em> working under the Phantomhives now." Hannah's eyebrows knitted together, shaking her head once more and instructed you follow her footsteps.

A small huff, you tried again. This time, you didn't notice the oncoming trolley filled with unfinished food and dirty dishes. A sense of determination filled you as you took three steps forward, keeping your steps light and fast.

However, the trolley collided with your bottom. You yelped loudly at the collision and stumbled forward, desperately trying to keep the glasses on the tray but you tripped over your feet and tumbled to the floor.

Glass shattering made you open your eyes, wide with shock as you stared at the scattered pieces on the floor, pooling around Hannah's feet. You and the kitchen boy gasped loudly.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going!" He panicked, looking around for the mop. However, instead of going to fetch it, he went to you and helped you up. "My apologies, I'm sorry!"

You stared at the glass before looking at the ocean eyed boy. A soft frown on your lips at the small tears in his eyes. How old was he? Fifteen?

"It's okay..." you sighed. "I should've been more aware of my surroundings. Please, don't cry." You spoke, picking up the tray off the floor and dusted off your pencil skirt.

"I-I'll go get the...the mop.." he lowered his head, pulling the trolley away as he retreated into the kitchen. Luckily, the commotion didn't alert the cooks and delayed their process.

"Are you alright? I stood on the opposite side and barely noticed the trolley." Hannah frowned. "I was so focused on training you I—"

"It's okay," You cut her off. "These things happen."

"I suppose your right, This doesn't excuse the incident, though." She shook her head, nibbling on her finger in thought. You frowned at her, picking up the larger pieces in her palm. The kitchen boy came back with a dustpan, a broom and a mop. You smiled at him and placed the large shards on the dustpan as he quickly cleaned up.