13. Trust Me

Chapter Summary: The soft silence in the apartment is filled with hushed whispers and silent sobs .

Placing your phone on the coffee table, you got up and grabbed the packet of missed assignments from the table in the kitchen. Carefully opening it with a knife, you pulled out the papers and sighed. A lot of missed work and so little time to complete them.

Placing the packet on the countertop, you grabbed a cup and opened the fridge door—frowning softly at the lack of orange juice but grabbed the apple juice instead.

Picking up the marker and wrote 'buy more orange juice' on the whiteboard propped up on the door, you popped the marker back in its place and pour yourself a cup of juice.

This...this was complicated, more so than you ever thought it would be. You never thought that you'd be talking to literal skeletons on a day to day basis, encounter a FIGHT like the one at Muffet's, or have words shoved into your mouth by the hands of your best friend.

Perhaps she was looking out for you. Yeah, with the way you met Edge and Red, you sorta got the picture. There were worse monsters out there who wouldn't bat their eyes at you if you were in a different situation. Much like that burly man—okay, wow. You need to stop thinking about that.

Bringing the cup to your lips, you told a sip of the cold beverage and used your free hand to display the papers. Most of it required online search, which was great for you because you couldn't really afford those expensive books. Not even with your income from your parents. Spend money wisely and it won't come back to bite you in the ass.

Placing the cup on the table, you quickly yet quietly went to your room to grab your laptop from your desk. Your eyes on the record player that's been tucked away.

Oh right, Red is forbidden to talk to you. Maybe you shouldn't have slammed the door on his brother's face. That scenario could've went somewhere better instead of you being held up by crimson magic.

Your hand subconsciously gripped the fabric above your heart. That feeling of vulnerability was terrifying, like Edge could just look at the small animated heart and see your whole life with a twist of his wrist. He could've seen all the times you've been locked up in the attic, alone and cold. He could've witness the suffocating situations you were always pulled into, taking the blame and smiling through it like it was actually your fault.

He could have seen all the things you never talked about.

The lump in your throat made you stop breathing for a moment. The weight of yesterday's situation finally dawning on you.

That moment of vulnerability was something you never wanted to feel, ever.

That heart... was your SOUL. Much like the burly man but instead of red velvet, yours was a faint sapphire shade.

Swallowing the ever growing lump, you tore your eyes away from the record player. Holding your laptop to your chest as you kept your head low and went back to the kitchen. Retreating to the living room to grab your phone and back to your room to grab a forgotten pencil. Pointedly avoiding looking at the record player as you shut off your lights and slowly closed your door.

You stood in the hallway for a second, your hand lingering on the doorknob. Edge wasn't going to allow you to see Red anymore.

Somehow... that thought alone made you feel...sad?

But then again, you've been feeling off ever since you started up your medication. You wrinkled your nose, shaking your head and shoving the thought away.

Sitting on a chair in the kitchen, you typed in your password and switched your phone on silent, determined to finish some of the papers without any distractions.