Chapter 23 - This Is Us

Take a deep breath Ankha.

"Lady Tsunade, with all due respect I wasn't expecting a partner and I'm confident I can complete this mission on my own"

I make eye contact with Tsunade refusing to glance in his direction, but I can feel his eyes on me anyway. Tsunade closes her eyes and rubs her temples, " Look I know this isn't ideal and it's not that I don't trust you, but this mission could be dangerous and I'd be more comfortable if you were partnered with someone who knows what they're doing. This is not up for debate. I don't the details between you two, but you better fix it"

By that time Kakashi was standing next to me and you could just cut the tension in the air with a knife. I knew there was no know way I was going to get out of this, without saying anything else I turned on my heels and exited the Hokage's office. 

Kakashi shortly followed after me with an exasperated sigh. "I know this isn't want you want and if it's any consolation, I had no idea I'd be going on a mission with you either"

I turn to him handing him the scroll "It is what it is" I say shortly

"Yeah I guess so" He takes the scroll from me, "We should probably go over our cover story together and pick out our disguises, are you free tonight?" he asks.

"No I'm not, I have plans with Itachi later, since I'm new to the village as a Shinobi I didn't plan on wearing much of a disguise outside of clothing. We can meet at the gate a few hours early to give us time to discuss our cover story" I crossed my arms and shift my weight, waiting for a response.

He nods in agreement, "Sure, if you still have my number I can text you the meet up time"

"Yeah, that should be fine. I gotta get going, see you tomorrow" I wave off and make my way back to the Academy before the conversation could go any further. Well it didn't go as bad as I thought, but how in the hell am I going to tell Itachi that I'll be on a mission with Kakashi for a week....alone.

Well this will be fun to explain.

By the time I made it back to the office Iruka was already gone teaching student for the remainder of the day and there was a bento box with flowers and a note attached. I smile knowing Shisui must've dropped these off for Itachi. 

I take the note out of the flowers to read it:

" I saw these sunflowers and thought of you, for you are the sun that has brightened my life

                         For the record, these flowers don't even come close to your beauty.

                                                                           Until tonight.

                                                                      Yours Truly, Itachi "

I break into a smile and take a look at the flowers, yeah bitch I'm sipping for this man hard as hell right now. I dig into my food so I can try and finish the rest of my work for the day to get ready for tonight.

I'm done with work by 4:30pm going me time to get ready for my date with Itachi. I send him a text letting him know I'll be getting ready at my place and we can meet from there. 

I'm still working out how I want to tell him about my mission, so I pull out all the stops tonight to make it easier to break the news to him. 

After my shower I lay out a few outfits and decide what to do with my hair because we all know that will take the longest.