𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐘

I WAS UTTERLY PETRIFIED

Let's go back a night.

Flashback

Emily and I had just come home from a case, when an old coworker from Interpol called her. Sean. He said he needed to meet with her urgently and already, that was off to a bad start.

Before she could even ask me to come with her, he told her she needed to come alone. That automatically made me worry.

Now, here I am, pacing back and forth in our apartment waiting for her to come home. The cat was chasing my feet. He thought it was a game, I was moving so much.

I was nervous. No one in this line of work asks to meet urgently if it's not something that compromises one's safety. I had no idea what she was going to say when she walked through that door.

When she finally did come home, I walked over to her. She had a blank look on her face. She didn't know how the hell to tell me what just happened. Whatever it was, was bad.

"Emily, what's wrong?" I asked. She looked down at her feet. She couldn't even look me in the eye.

She took a deep breath. "Ian Doyle escaped prison. He's completely off the grid. No one can find him." She paused. "I think we're in danger."

The wind was knocked out of my lungs. I didn't know what to say. How would someone reply to this?

A serial killer that Emily went undercover to get arrested is roaming the world with an axe to grind. Yeah, we're in danger. A lot of it.

"H-How?" I stuttered out. How are these people just escaping from prison? First my father, now him.

"I don't know. But they're certain he's heading here." She paused. "If I am the one he wants, and I'm sure I am, he's going to come after you too. He will do whatever he can to get to me." There were tears in her eyes. I've never seen her like this. She's always hid her emotions. She didn't even bother to try right now.

"Emily, what are we gonna do?" I swallowed. There is no way this is going to end well.

"I-I don't know. We need to be extra careful and-" She went on but I cut her off. She's not getting the extremity of this.

"Emily, this is more than just watching our backs."

"I need to talk to people at Interpol. They'll know more."

"Get a disposable phone and do it. We can't leave paper trails. All cash transactions here on out. We can't take any risks." I instructed. The unfortunate thing about this field is I have knowledge I wished I'd never have to know.

"Delia, I know him. It won't be easy to find him, let alone get him." She said honestly.

"I know." I let out. I was so flustered.