07 - Cool Weather Never Felt This Warm - Channing Winstead

I knew those were just like any sweet words every guy would've said to flirt with girls. I should've known there was nothing special about those words he said about being ready to catch me if I fell. But that felt different. It was like there was nothing but sincerity.

I shake away that thought, prefer to believe that it was just the way he said those words which made it different. He has a way with words I should've marked that specialty of him on my mind. With his way he can make flattering and flirt sound sincere, moving and gentle.

To be perfectly honest, I want to believe him. For one second I truly believe him, like I know I'll be safe. Then my logical mind warns me that I don't know him yet, why would I suddenly believe him without careful considerations? I trust him but not really.

Wake up Channing! You don't have enough experiences with boys, I strongly told myself. Yeah, I'm a great analyzer of boys and relationships in fictional worlds, TV shows and books. But in reality, I don't know if I'm good enough yet. My experiences were just non serious relationship which had no impact at me at all.

I just don't want to believe that it is his whispering that sends shivers through my body. He's just too close; I can almost feel his lips on my cheek my ear. His cheek already touches the tip of my ear.

I'm holding my breath when he's intentionally being close. I know now how it feels to be a hungry vampire trying to endure the urge of drinking fresh tasty blood. Thanks to my dear God! For giving me the strength to keep me sane so I don't throw myself on him the second I feel this.

Somehow that line he said makes just want to climb soon so I don't have to deal with all the temptations he has done all evening. I look at the tree with determination. I grab the wood so tight and move my hands and legs one at a time. I compliment myself for having chosen the right boots. They're steady and solid. I must look like a fighter.

When I reach the nearest branch, I'm starting to feel the fear rushes in. I tell myself to calm down. People say at this very moment; don't look down if you're afraid of height. I always remember that saying but I tend to break that wise advice which I should follow. I'm intrigued to look down, to make sure the-ready-to-catch Chace is still down there.

I jerk my head down carefully and feel like being hit on the head to find that no one's there. Oh damn! I feel like I'm going to fall and hit the ground so hard. The worst isn't about the pain; it's the feeling like a fool for trusting him to that level. Why do I trust him? I should take a lesson from this.

I'm going to hate him, curse him, when suddenly a sturdy hand grabs my waist. "You're doing good, sweetheart." He tells me, smiling. What is he doing here, right beside me wrapping his muscled arm around my waist? The warm feeling of his arm alone shoots into my skin.

"Why are you catching up on me? I thought you're going to wait down there." I snap at him and feel guilty the next second seeing his innocent look. I've snapped at him many times and all he does each time is giving me the look of a lost puppy confused to why I snap at him.

He manages to be calm and says. "You're going to fall, so I hurriedly climbed up to hold you. If I was waiting for you to eventually fall, you would've just said that I took a chance to get us on top of each other." I'm speechless at him defending his act.

He deserves an award for his virtue to shoot someone with words in his own charming way. How am I going to respond and win that argument? I can't even.

"Oh, okay. You just startled me."

"And scared you to death? Because you thought I betrayed you?" Oh that Chace who teases a lot back again, plus that smirk. "Throw away that worry, Winstead. I might be a flirt but I am not a liar. You can trust me."