19 - The Best Friend - Autumn Collins

"Richard, we have a project together. How about we discuss that now? Are you free?" I stop when I notice him sitting on a bench.

He puts aside his textbook and stands up. "Autumn, have a seat." He sits after I do. "We can make a plan for the project now." He puts off his glasses, a friendly smile tugged on his face.

I admit even with glasses, he looks cute. I don't know whether it is because the eye glasses are cool or he just has a handsome face; I think both.

I'm glad to be paired up in a project with him. He is easy to work with. "Here?"

"Why not? First week of spring makes me want to be outside." He breathes in some air. "It feels nice."

"Okay cool."

We have discussion of our project and make plan of what we need to do. I enjoy the breeze as much as I do work with Richard. We have times when our arguments get heated but we always come to a peaceful ending.

Discussing about project, which should be boring, becomes a nice time with him. Just as we're going to talk one last thing in our project plan, my phone is ringing, Tyler calling.

"Hello, Tyler." I always like when he calls me.

Tyler and I are talking for a while. I give an apologetic smile to Richard. He gives an understanding smile, waiting for me patiently. I close the conversation soon. "Okay, I love you. Bye."

"I'm so sorry, Richard." I look at him with guilty feeling.

His smile, I know he doesn't fake that. "I'm totally fine Autumn. I like seeing you with all that happy smile and bright eyes when you were on phone."

I laugh, feeling a bit awkward that he feels like that. "Then I'll be fine too if later you get a call from your girlfriend."

Now he is laughing. "I don't know which girlfriend you mean."

I don't know what to respond. After a few minutes of awkward silence, we continue our discussion until finish.

"I'm going to the library. You can come with me if you want." I think I can have him to accompany me.

He checks his watch then answers. "I'll go with you. My class starts in an hour."

We get up almost at the same time. I chuckle suddenly feeling a bit nervous because our eyes just meet when we finally stands up face to face. At that moment I realize his caramel brown eyes are cute. His blondish brown hair matches his handsome face perfectly.

I look away as soon as I can and jerk back from him. What the hell Autumn! You have a boyfriend. But it's normal as a woman to think this guy in front of me is attractive looking. It doesn't cross any rule to have that thought, does it?

-----

We walk to the library in a silence. He isn't like Chace who now must be such an annoying friend talking about things or teasing girls passing our way. I know it's not his fault alone, because the girls are looking at him, that makes him want to tease or flatter them.

Finally arriving at the library, I let Richard to be on his own. I search for books from alley to alley. When I come to the farthest alley, my eyes catch what I hope I can unseen.

"What a damn!" I try to tone down my voice, so shocked. I've been used to a scene like this to happen before my eyes, a scene which makes my stomach feel stirred.

At the corner, Chace is making out with a girl. His hands are exploring her body. His shirt is unbuttoned, so is the girl's shirt which now revealing her black bra. I don't think they even notice my presence. When Chace is kissing her neck then going down to her breasts, I realize that girl, black hair with few streaks of red and pink highlight. She is Michelle Britton.