40 - Cut It Out - Autumn Collins

Part 1
***
A month ago

The manager told me that I had someone waiting to meet me.  A very important person he said.  I had a bad feeling already.  Juliette had been trying to get me to her team since I turned summer internship in The Payne Company. 

“Why did you come to me again? I won’t go anywhere near you.”  

She stands up and walks to me. “Calm, Autumn.  I’ve come a long way here for you.”

“I don’t care what you’ve done for me.  You’re selfish! I know enough you do everything for your own benefit.” I tried to tone down my yelling, but it’s just hard not to snap at her.

I thought she looked like she’s not feeling well. “Don’t pretend to be sick! You think I’d be willing to help you?”

I didn’t care about her.  I believed she just wanted to get my attention and deceive me.  But suddenly she’s reaching for my arm when I was about to turn my back on her.  I meant to flinch her hand when she collapsed the next second. 

“Damn you Juliette.” I cursed on her.  She’s collapsing in my arms.  She felts hot that I thought she had fever or something.  So I had to get her to the hospital.  Me getting her to the hospital was how I finally found out about her and Chace.
***

I close my eyes and breathe in as much as air I can load into my lungs.  I open my eyes slowly to let all the sight in.  The days I have in this room are numbered.  I have approximately 17 days left before I have my commencement.  I’m going to remember every precious moment I have in this room with Channing, the best roommate I could ever ask for. 

“I didn’t know you can be dramatic too.” Oh that accented voice of hers is what I’m going to miss too.

I take the photo of Channing and I in front of the UMASS Boston main building. “You’re going to miss me so bad, worse than I to you.”

“Ugh! Don’t remind me that I’m going to have new roommate.” She seems to be worried at the thought of that. 

It will be fun to tease her when she’s worried.  I put the photo back on her table. “Drunk-call me when you’re losing your mind.”

She hides her fear with chuckle. “Bet on it! If I did -but I would never, chances were I’d call my Chace.” 

“Oh you use possessive pronoun on his name now?” I know by the way she said that and from the spark in her eyes when she said his name that she is truly in love with him.  It hurts me how I know what she doesn’t.  I’m not sure if Chace will ever tell Channing his little secret.

“Why don’t I? Chace is just very lovely.  We had summer time together although just for three weeks.” She puts her phone away after checking it. “I think I should thank you personally for setting me up with him at the first place.”

I pretend to look for something on my table to avoid looking at her sincere happy smile. “I wish you were right about him.” I mutter. 

I don’t know if I should tell her or not.  I met Juliette again.  She told me about her night with Chace.  I doubted that at first but I just knew that what she said was true.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” she pats my shoulder to get my attention.

I don’t want to ruin her good mood.  I don’t want to be in the middle of it.  I’ll let Chace handle this.  I want to stay away out of it when things are falling apart between them. “No. Nothing.” I fake a smile. 

***
Four years ago.
It was the first summer break I had as a student of UMASS Boston.  I got in this university a year ago by full scholarship.  I came home to Charleston to have summer job which I could use to spend my free time.