48 - Words of Wisdom

Chace POV
“Chace Alexander, good morning.  Come in please.  Thanks for calling me before.” Christopher Winstead opens the door and lets me in.  He’s a good looking man with a wise smile always tugged on his lips.  The wrinkle around his eyes only makes him look wise and nice. 

“Good morning, Mr. Winstead.” I hug him back as he welcomes me in a friendly hug. 

I follow him to the living room where they use to welcome guests.  I give the cakes I bring to him.  He always knows how to make people feel good.  He accepts it with so much gratitude and appreciation. 

“It’s really good to see you.” He sits on the single couch.

I nod. “I’m glad to have the chance to meet you Mr. Winstead.”

“Christopher is fine if you please.”

Elizabeth, Channing’s mother comes in to welcome me.  I stand up as she approaches me.  I hug her lightly.

“Channing went with her brother, Alan.”

Alan Winstead, the tough protector, is here.  I think I know what to expect.

She asks. “Did you make an appointment with her?”

“It’s fine, Mrs. Winstead.  Actually I need to talk to Mr. Winstead.”

“Oh, fine.  Let me get you something to drink.” She leaves me with Christopher. 

I take a seat back. “Thank you.”

“What do you need to talk with me, son?” Christopher asks me nicely. 

I’ll just get to the point. “It’s about Channing and me, our relationship.  It seems that Channing hasn’t told you about this.”

“Son, I know.”

I’m shocked.  What did he mean that he knew? “Pardon?”

“You and Channing broke up.” He says that lightly as if the guy who just broke his daughter’s trust wasn’t in front of him.  Instead, he shows an understanding smile that warms my heart.

“She doesn’t need to tell.  I have my suspicion since she came home a week ago.  She has never talked about you anymore.  Her mother caught something has been wrong with her, so that’s how.  Is that why you came here, to tell me about that?”

“I want to apologize that I broke your trust when you told me to keep her.” I say every word as sincere as I mean that. 

He nods. “What you did was wrong.  However, I know not to hate the sinner, but to hate the sin.” He’s serious now.  His lips become a thin line and his forehead id wrinkled.

“I respect that.” I just nod. 

Elizabeth enters the living room with two cups of drinks.  She puts each one in front of me and Christopher.  I smile politely and nod.  We continue our serious talk after Elizabeth leaves us. 

“You know, son, people grow and they change.  If you and my daughter are meant to be, the fate will find a way for you both to come back together.” He pauses to taste the drink.  He gestures me with his hand to let me drink.

I take the drink which is herbal tea.  It smells natural and nice and tastes quite weird in a good way though. “I understand that.  I’m not here to change her decision.”

“Very wise, son.  No one can.  It has to be her intention.  I think you know her too, how firm she can be.”

Christopher is right. “I know Channing is resolute and I love that about her.” Her determination was the thing that attracted me at the first place.