14 - Just A Little Closer - Chace Alexander

I'm in the middle shaving my beard when I hear someone knocking on my door. I accidentally cut my jaw. "Oh, shit!"

I observe my reflection on the mirror, looking at the scar now on the left side of my jaw. The scar is quite recognizable. It won't be healed anytime soon. The knocking starts again, so I run to the door with only towel covering my waist.

When the person behind the door is shown before me, I jerk back and feel my cheeks hot. I'm not used to being shirtless in front of her. "Oh, Mom!" her beautiful face always has that bright smile and wisdom shines through her eyes.

"My handsome boy!" she comes in then hugs me. She kisses my cheeks as we part hug.

I put my arm around her shoulder, leading her to the couch. "Mom, why didn't you tell me? I could pick you up."

My mom says. "I didn't plan it. I have few days off after doctors meeting on Massachusetts so I decided to come by." She continues. "Oh and don't mind me seeing you shirtless, my dear. I've seen you naked since you were born."

I shout from the bathroom while putting on a jumper and a pair of training. "Mom, I'm not a little boy anymore."

Throwing myself onto the couch, I see my Mom searching in her big purse and taking out some stuff.

"But you'll always be my boy." She glances at me then keep on searching something in her purse.

My eyes catch a small box. That box alone looks luxurious. She opens it and shows what is inside, a priceless badge, so much integrity and excellency. A badge of honor inherited from the first Alexander family member who received a noble and graduated with honor from UMASS Boston.

"I thought you'd want to have this by now." She closes and gives the box to me.

"You know I love you." I say, receiving the box. "How are Zoey and Daniel. You left them alone?"

"Your little brother doesn't feel well. He's got fever since yesterday. Zoey is taking care of him." My Mom answers with a calm voice.

"Oh, Daniel. You should go back as soon as possible."

"I checked him and it's just usual fever. He will be fine in two days, tops." She convinces me. "Zoey is a big girl. And I will be home by tomorrow." I love when my mother puts her hand on my cheek, caressing it with so much care and love. I can just feel the love while closing my eyes.

My mother is a doctor, specialist in general surgery. She works at main hospital in our hometown. I won't debate with her about that. "Ah, I'll call Zoey later. She must have missed me a lot."

"Are you coming to the party?"

"Of course, mommy. It starts in a few hours." Then I check on my digital clock which lies on the floor because I remember throwing it this morning. It reads 02:00 p.m. "Have you had your lunch? Let's have lunch."

I love how my mom replies. "That's what I was waiting for you to ask me that. Let's go, son." She twists her hand to my arm.

------

It's 05:05 p.m. already and I have my suit on; a pure white shirt, a dark gray vest, a pair of flawless black pants, and last my long black coat which has high collar and the hem falls right above my knee. It's one of my favorite spectacular coats.

My Mom helps me with my hair. She wants to do it for me and I just can't refuse it. She styles it in spikey using hair gel. I look at the mirror, my hair looks like a set of little fire flame. On the other hand, my face gets a light touch. I have a camera-ready face.