41 - The Tension

Juliette POV
I met Nathan last month when we had business meeting in Charleston.  He was the representation from Haverhill.  I didn’t expect I would meet him again like that.  I didn’t like that he was the representation of the branch in Haverhill. 

I know for sure when my father chooses a novice auditor like him to represent the company, even though just a branch company, it means he does more than just trusts him.  Nathan Winstead becomes his right-hand person.

“So Nathan and Channing are related.” I mutter to myself.  How conflicted this is! I’m thinking what if Nathan knew about this? That is a perfect comeback to Chace. 

I’m certain that Chace will never be able to open up to his girlfriend.  I’ve tried to reveal his true self yet Channing hasn’t found out. 

Chace seems to forget that no one knows him better than me.  He doesn’t remember the one he turned to when the world left him.  His complicated bad side is easily switched on. 

Chace blamed me for all the change on him while I just made him the way he truly is.  If he didn’t want to be why did he enjoy being the ‘bad’ guy? Apparently he needs to be reminded. 

I call Nathan to see if we can meet.  Nathan will do the job on this matter for me.  I don’t need to tell him to, he definitely will do something about it.  It’s his sister who is involved on the matter.  For once I might do something good for the sake for others.  I’m saving a decent girl from destruction.

“Hi! Nice to hear your voice Nathan.”

“I thought you didn’t want to get involved with me anymore.” His voice is a cold ice, no heart-warming tone like when we first met. 

“Then you should leave Payne Company to another Company.”

“I’ll think about it.” I know he didn’t mean that.  He’s my father’s right hand.  No one will waste that chance.  He can be promoted easily. “Why are you calling me?”

“I miss you.  I’m going to have business meeting in,” I consider the right place. “Boston.” Perfect plan I say to myself. “I’m being kind here in case you want to meet me-” I intentionally hang on my sentence.

He responds in flash. “Yes.  I’d love to.  Boston.  My sister is there so maybe I can visit her too.”

“I know you cannot resist me.”

“I don’t believe you miss me.  Nevertheless, I’ll take your kindness.” His voice isn’t as cold as before.

I chuckle. “You don’t know a thing about me, Nathan.”

“Unfortunately you give me no chance to get to know you.”

I hate when he is curious about me. “I’m just too complicated, conflicted and all that you don’t want to be in your life.”

“You tell me.” He is so calm. “Have you ever thought that I may be attracted to complicated and conflicted kind of person?”

I sigh. “All the time.  Well, I’m flattered.”

“See you soon Juliette Payne.” The way he says my name is honestly flattering. 

“I don’t favor you mention my last name.” I grunt. 

He chuckles. “Too bad I don’t do it in your favor.”

“See you too.” 
-----

Chace POV
Two people who know Channing so well have suggested me to be honest with all that happened, all that I did.  Once was bad enough for me to open up to her.  Twice was even worse.  Third times, I can’t even think of how bad she would take this matter.