42 - Breaking Point - Chace Alexander

This is a set up; Juliette made it.  The one question bothers me most is how the hell she and Nathan seem to have known each other quite well.  What they have is more than just works stuff.  Knowing that Nathan is Channing’s brother, Juliette certainly won’t let this chance go to waste. 

“Okay Channing, would you mind amusing us with the story of how you and Chace meet?” Juliette looks at Channing and flashes a smile.

Channing looks at me then turns to look at Juliette, smiling so nicely. “The first time we met,“ she chuckles. “Well let’s say it was an accident.  I never thought we would meet again.  We’re from different major.”

I smile when she touches my arm. “I guess the winter party brought us together.  I always hated that parade now I think I should be thankful for that.” She sounds so keen to tell that. 

“Haha my sister doesn’t like party and the kind.” Nathan adds.  He glimpses at Juliette.

Juliette responds. “That’s very exciting how you two got together.”

“Oh, no it was Autumn actually who made it happen.  She set me up with Chace.” Channing looks at me giving a sign asking me to contribute on the story.

I breathe in and out slowly to gather myself.  I avoid eyes contact with Juliette as long as I can. “Yeah.  Autumn was the key.  We never thought we’d be together since we took each other as challenge.  All we had in mind was once the challenge was done; we would be done with each other.”

“Wow such a great challenge you took, sister.” Nathan teases Channing and grins.

I touch Channing’s thigh and squeeze it softly. “Channing is one of a kind.”

“How sweet of you two, truly in love with each other.” That is Juliette speaking.  She keeps smiling once in a while.  She must’ve practiced all her fake manner to look that sweet and decent.  My eyes glance at her hearing what she said.  She knows nothing about love. 

Nathan smiles and his eyes show a pure happiness.  He looks as decent and good as Channing. “I’m glad to know that.”

He turns to look at me. “Remember Chace, I’m not her only protector.  And I’m the nice one.” He smiles and his eyes look friendly and joyful.  This guy is just super nice. 

“I’m aware of that.” I say pretend to be good to hide that I’m so not okay right now for breaking his lovey sister’s heart. 

Seeing a flash of Juliette’s evil smile makes me feel even worse.  Tonight is the last night everything is fine between me and Channing.  I know this time will come.  I keep breathing in and out. 

“Chace, are you okay?” Channing whispers to me.  She massages my thigh.  I should be calm with her touch but I’m too anxious knowing my world is falling apart.  I hear them Juliette and Nathan talking but every voice is like just a noise in the background for my mind is so stressed.

I blurt out. “Channing, I have something to tell you, in private.”

“Oh Channing, this one is the best here.” Juliette interrupts. “You have to try this.” She hands a dish to Nathan to be placed near Channing.

“Sure I would.  I’m sure Juliette knows best.” Channing replies.  She turns to me and her hand caresses my sideburn. “We’ll talk later, okay.”

I sigh.  I’ve lost my appetite since I saw Juliette.  I pretend like I enjoy the food.  However my anxiety is growing into anger.  I feel like losing a temper.  My hand holds the spoon so tight that I could just break it if only it wasn’t this solid. 

“This can’t wait, Channing!” I suddenly shout and grab her hand by the wrist.  Channing gasps and her eyes are wide open.  She’s startled by my sudden outburst.

“Woah take it easy there.  What’s wrong with you Chace? Don’t hold her that way.  You’re hurting my sister.”

My hand is shaking and I slowly let go of her hand. “I’m really sorry, Channing.  I don’t mean to hurt you.  I think I need to go to the restroom.” I smile apologetically to Nathan.  I see that Juliette is satisfied with whatever the hell she’d planned.  

I wash my face on the washbasin.  The air is cool but I feel heated.  I look at my own reflection in the mirror.  I’m a mess. 

“Chace.”

My head snaps as I hear Channing voice.  She’s here. “Channing, baby, why are you here?” I grab her arm and lead her out of the restroom.   

“I just want to make sure you’re okay.  Is everything fine?” she cups my cheeks. 

I hold her wrists and put her hands down from my cheeks. “I don’t want to lose you Channing.  I can’t ever lose you.  I love you so much you know that right?” I can hear my voice breaking. 

“You won’t lose me.” She pats my back with one hand while the other leads my head to her shoulder. “I love you too Chace Alexander.  Nothing’s going to change that.” I rest my head on her shoulder.  I guess I’d indulge and calm myself for the last time before I’m going to lose her.   
-----

The next day after the awkward dinner, I receive an email.  I have bad feelings about the email.  When I have bad feelings, it always is related to the no other, Juliette Payne.  I take a heavy breath in and out before I open the message.

You must’ve thought that I’d tell Nathan about our night to ruin your relationship.  I told you I’ve changed.  I’m not that heartless.  I give you one last chance to tell your beloved Channing by yourself.  But I only give seven hours from now or else I’m telling her brother.  The clock is ticking, darling. –Juliette

“Damn it!” I curse under my breath.  The email was received two hours ago.  Five hours more to go before my world is falling apart.  It seems that Juliette can’t get enough of playing with me and my life. 

I get up and literally jump out of the bed to get ready.  I try to call Channing first to make sure where she is.  She said she could not spend the day with me because her brother is taking her out. 

My calls go unanswered.  I’m feeling overwhelmed.  It goes to her voicemail. “Channing, I really need to meet you right now.  I’m sorry for bothering your time with your brother.  It cannot wait.” After that I also send her another text message with similar message as the voicemail.

I get ready as fast as I can, leaving dirty clothes all over the bathroom floor.  It’s a good thing I live in this room by myself.  I check on my phone while I’m locking the door.  There’s nothing from Channing.

I always do exercise on the morning everyday though I don’t have time for that now.  I can take this as my exercise because I basically run to get to her dorm.  I’m running for my life. 

“Hey, Chace! What’s the rush?” I hear someone shouting at me but I don’t really see who he is. 

I yell back. “My life.” I don’t have time to stop for a chat. 

When I make a turn right, I bump on a girl, causing her stumble.  Fortunately I quickly catch her before she falls. “I’m so sorry.  I’m in a hurry.”

“Chace?” she’s Lynda Fitzgerald.  She caresses her forehead which hits my jaw. “It’s okay.”

I hold her hand and look at her with apologetic eyes. “Talk to you later.  You’re the best.  See you.”

I leave her with her mouth open about to respond.  
*****