15 - Almost Is Never Enough - Channing Winstead

I turn my head as he calls my name. I thought he wanted to show me something, but he kisses me. I gasp when her lips touch my cheek so close to my lips. The edge of his lips literally makes a contact with the edge of my lips.

One thing I can't deny that his lips feel so soft when he presses them on my cheek. I feel my cheek so warm in an instant. I must be blushing so bad. Why the hell did he do that? I pinch his arm so hard.

I whisper to him with so much stress in each of my words. "What the hell did you do? You just said like less than an hour ago, you won't take advantage of me." He'd better get my message or I'd shove it down his throat.

But his reply only makes me even crazier. "I'm just being professional in playing my part." He did not just steal my words!

I don't want to respond to that so I only give him the most piercing look I can make.

Following his gaze to some direction, I want to find out the reason why he did that. There must be something or someone but I can't find it. I quit finding out whatever or whoever he was trying to tease with that light kiss. There are a lot of people here and every girl here might be his ex-girl.

I should care about how people actually gaze at me. I think they're attracted to me, not only because Chace is next to me. Pretty sure I have my own appeal; I bet this dress also contribute much on it.

Chace is taking me to meet some friends he has and also some people whom he says as important for me to get to know. Then another hour goes normally except the time when Chace kisses my cheek, again, in front of his friends. Can he not? Now he literally has kissed both of my cheeks because we changed side before. I guess I'm breathless more because of him than the party.

-----

Before he walks away to take me something to drink, I warn him. "Don't kiss me again. Note that I'm not your object to make someone else jealous."

I can say that because the second time he kissed me, I caught on whom his gaze focus, a girl. That I'm sure she must be his ex-girlfriend or girlfriend or whatever her status is. I really don't care. I was so naïve to think he wanted to show me off to his friends.

He catches my wrist. "Noted." He smirks then continues. "Why don't we get the drink together? We enjoy each other company, right?"

"Fine, I'm not in the mood to argue with you today."

Chace Alexander is the kind who won't go down without a word. Apparently he's easily bored so he likes to talk whenever it's possible. I wonder how he always has stock of words to say about pretty much anything.

"Do you like reading?"

I don't mean to but my hand flies to slap his chest when he asks that. "Are you kidding me? I was born to read."

He strokes his chest where I hit him. "Damn, what do you like to read? I guess it must be something violent."

I hold my laugh so I just chuckle. "I love any novels basically. Though fantasy, supernatural kind with romance is my favorite genre."

"Oh that's not really my genre. I like that genre in movies, TV shows but not to read. I can't bear the magnitude deal of details."

"Those are important to help creating the image on readers' mind." I tell him even though I'm sure he knows. "Then what do you like? Erotica books?"

He laughs hard like he would roll on the ground. His hands are on his stomach. "Did you just confess what you actually like? I like many genres, I don't really have favorite. Well, I can say something with politic I think." He shrugs. "Supernatural, I like that too so long as it doesn't torture me with details and descriptions. And no cheesy, silly romance thing please." He scoffs at the word 'cheesy'.

He's looking at me in silence. "Channing, you did it."

"Did what?" I ask, worrying I might have done something wrong.

He smiles. "You surprised me well. You're stunning. It's your first time, but you made an outstanding appearance." His words sound true from the heart.

"Thanks, Chace. I mean it." But I can't help not to play it. "I'll always remember that because I think it will be rare for you to be so sincere like that, right?" I wink.

He looks down for seconds and I see him smiling. "Be careful when you flirt with me, love." He startles me as he grabs my chin with his thumb and finger. His thumb makes a gentle motion on my chin. "I've got the edges of your lips. Do you think I won't make it to your irresistible gentle lips?"

I want to snap at him right at the moment. But it is like I cannot move my lips. I'm beyond speechless.

"It's about time, Channing." He says, taking back his hand off me. "Don't worry, I'll be gentle." He must be kidding me. "Here drink. Perfectly sane drink. No alcohol."

My lips touch the rim of the glass as an excited shout takes my wandering mind into the real world. "Chan!" Who else if that's not Ellie?

"I found you having that priceless expression, so what happened?" First question needed to be answered. Can she not be that loud? I glance at Chace that might hear what she asked.

I simply say. "Nothing." It's good that Chace is distracted by some friends that talk to him.

"What was nothing?" he tilts his head to see my face. "Oh dear, Eleanor Hans!" he turns to see Eleanor and has big smile plastered on his face. He always has some kind of smile when he talks to anyone actually.

Eleanor gives him a slight smile. "Chace. It's not the first time you go after my friend, is it? Your pattern is apparent."

Chace just smirks at her comment. "Pleasure to see you, Eleanor." He takes Eleanor's hand and plants a kiss on the back of it. "You look so lovely."

"What a charmer." I mumble. But apparently Chace hears it and glances at me with unbelievably proud smile.

"What can I say Eleanor? You do have amazing friends, worth my time." He looks at me. "Especially this one best friend that you've been protected from me."

I don't know what to say anymore and just look away from his intense look. He holds my hand onto his arm so I can't just go even if I want to.

"You're such a dashing gentleman, Chace. But keep those charms to yourself. I don't want to deal with it now, not ever." Eleanor speaks on my behalf.

I quickly add. "I second that, third that, fourth that and so on."

Chace laughs instead. "I think I'm starting to like you, Winstead." He clarifies fast. "I meant, Channing."

"Whatever, I'd better leave you two alone." Eleanor gives me a nod and leaves us.

I gulp my drink which I've been holding. Just as the water touches my tongue, I'm surprised to what I just taste. "What is it?" it isn't like anything I've ever tasted. "Chace." I wiggle his arm.

He takes the glass from my hand and drinks it without hesitation.

*****

A/N
This is dedicated to my best friend, Aulia Zahroh. She is the one who is always loyal to read my works and loving them. I'm grateful for all her supports to encourage me to write more and more.

And to all my readers, I appreciate you too all for the time, votes, and comments.

Ps.

I changed quite a lot from this chapter. I like it this way better.  It's more coherent with the previous chapter.