Chapter Fifty-Five

▬▬▬▬ Joel's POV ▬▬▬▬

"Okay, Everly," Marley smiled, her camera in one hand while she pointed with the other, directing us just how she wanted. "I want you to run to your dad and jump up as high as you can and I promise he's gonna catch you. Can you do that for me?"

Looking as enthusiastic as ever, Ev nodded her head before doing what was asked of her, sprinting toward me with biggest grin. The pink ribbons tied around her two ponytails were flapping in the breeze and I could hear the soft shutter of the camera clicking over and over again as she got closer.

In seconds, my little girl was in my arms, and a natural smile formed on my lips as I looked at her, laughing like a crazy person. I loved this girl so fucking much, and raising her, though it hadn't been easy, was well worth all the shit stains and lonely nights.

But you're not so lonely anymore, are you? Lucky bastard.

Fuck yeah, I was lucky. Lucky to have Marley Jones in my life. Even now, at this god forsaken park, at the end of winter, her stare was keeping me warm.

Ninety percent of the time she was focused as a laser, completely professional, but still her. Still welcoming and friendly. Still my sexy baby, even in her worn out jeans and hoodie.

But it was that ten percent that distracted me from time to time. The moments when she'd take a little too long to tell us what to do next. When I'd catch her deep in thought, staring at me like she wanted me to fuck her hard and deep and slow. I could always tell when her thoughts went dirty, when she was turned on. She tried so hard to hide it, for Everly's sake, I know. It was clear she was very much so attracted to the fatherly side of me, to how I loved and cared for my daughter.

And I've got plenty of love left for you, too, darling.

...the fuck did I just think?

"Okay, guys, you did great!" Marley called out, gesturing for us to come stand next to her. Shaking myself out of my thoughts I joined her, naturally leaning close, gravitating to her."Want to see some of them? I think I got a ton of awesome shots. Especially of you, Everly. You were perfect!"

"Thank you, Miss Marley," she said shyly, blushing at the compliment.

Marley wasn't lying when she said she got some amazing shots of us. I wasn't an overly sentimental guy, but even I could see how special the moments she captured of us were. The love was evident, clear as day, and not one single fucktard of a judge would be able to convince me otherwise.

"We're pretty much done, there's just a few ideas I have left, but I think they'll be better suited taken in front of your house."

"Okay," I nodded, leading the way back to my truck.

When we got to the house we took a quick bathroom break, and I gave Everly a snack, careful to make sure she didn't spill any pudding on her clothes. Then, we gathered in the front lawn, and Marley had as get situated right by the steps.

"Now Joel, if you can sit on the second step, I want Everly to stand on the third one, right behind you. Okay great, now, Everly can I get you to lean forward and wrap your arms around your dad, like you're giving him a big hug? Oh that's perfect! Good job, Ev!"

Click! Click! Click!

Flash! Flash! Flash!

She directed us a few more times and then we were pretty much finished when I recognized the blue Ford Fusion pulling up in front of my house.

For fucks sake, Mom, what are you doing here?

"Grandma!" Ev squealed, rushing over to the nosy woman getting out of her car.