Chapter Thirty-One

▬▬▬▬ Joel's POV ▬▬▬▬

We danced to a couple more songs after that, letting the conversation drift to more easy-going topics. I knew Marley was still upset about her friend not wanting her to spend time with me, but I didn't want her dwelling on that. I'd take care of it. Right now, I just wanted to kiss the pout off her lips, and hope she'd forget about it.

So I did, and she ate it up.

Marley loved affection. Loved feeling wanted, desired, and I sure as hell desired her.

Then what the fuck are you waiting for? Ask her already!

Fuck, okay.

"Mmm," she hummed against my lips, pecking them one more time. "Joel, as much as I don't want to, I have to pee."

"Okay. I'll go with you."

"What?!" she exclaimed, those green eyes wide with a drunken glaze.

"Not like that," I chuckled. "I'll be outside the door. Just want to make sure you're safe, is all."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Thanks," she beamed, her smile so wide and bright. Dazzling.

"Anytime, darling."

Lifting onto her toes, she planted a firm, hot kiss on my mouth, then walked off without another word, and I followed, feeling my lips tingle as I did so. It was decided then, as I soaked in the thrill she gave me, that the moment she walked out that bathroom, I was going to ask her to be my girlfriend. The judge could kiss my ass. Being with Marley wouldn't be a detriment to my daughter, and I shouldn't have to feel guilty about the relationship I wanted to build with her.

A couple of guys gave me a look when they noticed me waiting outside the women's bathroom, pacing from nerves, but they kept it moving while I wondered what was taking Marley so long. A pee shouldn't take ten minutes, right?

Just as that thought ran through my head, she came stumbling out the bathroom, and at first, I thought someone had shoved her, but that wasn't the case. She was a wreck, tears streaming down her face as she looked around, a sob escaping her when she spotted me. Rushing to me, she cried into my chest, and I held her, worried more than I thought possible. She was shaking so heavily, and I didn't know why.

"Baby, what's got you all to pieces?" I asked, rubbing her back in hopes to calm her down enough to tell me what went wrong in the last handful of minutes.

It took a while for her to catch her breath, but when she did, she stepped back and said, frantic now versus hysterical, "I have to go."

"Woah woah woah, Marley, wait a second," I spoke up, grabbing her arm to slow her down as she rushed back to the booth. "What's going on?"

"I-I...I'll tell you later," she struggled to say, and I could hear in her voice that she was crying again. Or, maybe she never really stopped.

When she got back to our table, all three of the guys sat up straight, their concern immediate. At first, they looked at me, probably wondering if I was the reason for her tears. When I shook my head, showing I had no clue as to what was going on, they looked back at her, their worry only growing, much like my own.

"It was nice meeting you all," she managed to say as she grabbed her purse, still trying to get away.

Again, I followed her, watching as she put on her coat, her fingers fumbling with the zipper, struggling. She was shaking way too much. What's the hell is going on? Bending down, I took it from her, zipping it all the way up to her chest.