Chapter Twenty-Nine

▬▬▬▬ Marley's POV ▬▬▬▬

"I don't think I've ever had brunch before," Joel said, munching on a piece of bacon I fried up for us.

"Brunch?" I echoed, raising a brow while trying not to laugh.

"Yes. Brunch. Isn't that what this is?"

"I usually just call it a late breakfast," I shrug, taking a bite of my pancakes while fighting a smile.

"Same thing," he chuckled.

"I know, but brunch just sounds so...fancy, and I am anything but."

Shaking his head, amused, Joel took a sip of his orange juice and I did the same with mine. The next ten minutes or so were filled with us either eating or goofing off, and I couldn't control the grin growing on my face the whole time. The last time I woke up smiling on Christmas Eve was many years ago. Grams did her best to make me happy, and in no way did she fail, but there was only so much she could do.

I was lonely. Had been for far too long. Waking up in Joel's arms this morning...it was different. A good different. It felt right, and when I realized that, all I wanted was to give myself to him again. Connect with him, without words, because that was when we were most honest.

"So..." Joel started, his tone wary and nervous all of a sudden. A stark contrast to the lighthearted, playful vibe before. When I gave him an acknowledging stare, he continued, "...you're not mad at me, then? About not mentioning the whole witnessing thing sooner?"

Furrowing my brows at his thought, I shook my head. "No. Why? Should I be?"

"I guess not. I was just worried you'd think that was why I reconnected with you. Like I was using you or something." Lightly cupping the side of my face and stroking his thumb back and forth across my skin, he added, "I hope you know I'd never do something like that. Especially not to you."

With a soft smile, I placed my hand over his and said, "I believe you, Joel. Even though you've hurt me in the past, I know that wasn't your intention. I promise, the thought never crossed my mind. So, no, I'm not mad at you."

"You are something else, darling," Joel sighed in relief, grabbing my thigh with his large hand and giving it a soft squeeze.

So are you, Joel.

Standing up, he grabbed his empty plate and walked it over to the sink, washing it off while I watched him, trying to behave my thoughts. Something about him checking in on my feelings was incredibly arousing. We were both dressed, already having showered, but his butt looked so good in those jeans, and I could only imagine how it must look, bare, tight and flexed whenever he thrusted into me. Oh God, he always goes so deep. I crossed my ankles, my thighs clenching together and my fingers mindlessly picking at the hem of the cute, red t-shirt dress I wore as I tried to simmer down.

"Damn, what I wouldn't give to know what you're thinking about right now," Joel murmured, his voice low and rough.

Eyes darting up to his, I felt all the heat flush to my face at being caught. Biting my lip, I stopped fidgeting with my dress and shrugged. "Too bad you'll never know."

With heated eyes that made me squirm on the stool, Joel challenged, "Oh yeah? You sure about that—"

Ring ring!

We both froze at the interruption, our eyes stilled on each other.

Ring ring!

"Saved by the bell," he chuckled under his breath, winking at me as he answered his phone and started walking to the living room. "Hello? Oh, good morning, princess! Mmhm. I did. Merry Christmas Eve, Evvie."