Chapter Fifty-Nine

▬▬▬▬▬ Joel's POV ▬▬▬▬▬

The next morning I found myself looking in the mirror, trying to still my shaking hands as I buttoned up the grey dress shirt I wore. I had to look as clean and put together as possible because...today was the day.

The day of the hearing.

The day my friends and loved ones would take the stand and testify as to why I should keep full custody of my daughter.

The day Marie's legal team would interrogate us, try to shit all over my name, and do all they could to make sure I lost custody of her.

The day some fucking stranger decided the fate of my family.

"Here, let me help you with that."

Looking over my shoulder in the mirror, I watched as the sweetest thing to walk into my life looked at me from the doorway of my room. With a hesitant but comforting smile, she came closer, only stopping when she now stood in front of me.

Grabbing the tie I held in my hand she lifted up onto the tip of her toes and proceeded to put it on me perfectly, with ease.

She wouldn't have had to if you weren't shaking like a goddamn vibrator.

"You look handsome," Marley said, patting my chest lightly, smoothing out my shirt of any lingering wrinkles. 

She was looking at me, I could feel it, trying to figure out just where exactly my head was at. I wanted to hide, but at the same time, for the first time in my life I felt like I didn't have to, and she'd still see me as this big, strong man that could be there for her.

There was always this purity to Marley Jones that I didn't know I needed in my life, but damn was I lucky to have it. To have her. 

"I've already got Everly eating breakfast, and I have Disney+ up and ready to go on the TV when she finishes so that should keep her distracted while you and the guys head to the courthouse."

"Thank you, darling," I exhaled, a little minuscule percentage of my stress leaving with it. "You know where all the snacks are?"

"Mmhm," she hummed, her hands still on my chest as she leaned against me, her presence so warm and endearing, I had to pull her closer.

Pressing a soft kiss against the top of her head I reminded her, "After Dom testifies, he'll be headed straight back here so you two can switch off. You're near the end of the witness list so, timing wise, that should work."

"Mmhm," she hummed in agreement, distracted by something. "I wish I could be there with you. I'm just glad your mother will be."

"Marley, you are with me. I'm leaving you in charge of the most important person in my world, and I know that she'll be happy as long as that's the case. I don't need you in the court room with me. Not when I can have you here, with Everly."

"You know what I meant," she sniffled, looking away, hiding her face from me, but I could tell she was trying not to get emotional. That freckled nose turned a rosy pink despite her attempts to stop it.

"Being there for someone isn't reserved for only in the physical, baby. You're here for me every day, even when we don't see each other." Tucking her hair behind her ear so I could see her better, I brought up something I knew was a touchy subject for her, but seemed fitting in the moment. "You're here for my family just like you were there for yours."

"Joel," she shook her head, rolling her teary eyes. "Today is not about me." 

"I told you I'd tell you everyday if you needed it, Marley. You were there for your grandmother. You were there, and now you're here, and I am so so grateful," I swore, leaning down to press my forehead against hers.