Chapter Sixty-Four

▬▬▬▬▬ Marley's POV ▬▬▬▬▬

By the time I managed to get Joel out of the courthouse, the sun was beginning to set. The wet chill from earlier was bitter, frigid, and made him want me closer to his body, and I indulged him, causing us to have to walk slowly to the parking lot. Turning to face him once we got to my car, I rubbed his arms before taking his jacket off and putting it back on him. He protested, but one look at the expression on my face and he went back to silently existing, ever in pain, and I was forced to watch helplessly.

"Marley!" his mother called right as I was about to get in the car.

"Yes?"

I'd been so focused on her son, I'd overlooked her and her pain as a grandmother, as a mother, seeing how everything had unfolded despite her best efforts. The turmoil in her eyes reminded me of it, and I gave her a sympathetic smile when she reached out for my hands.

"Thank you for taking him home," she said, her fingers gripping mine tightly. "I would have, but I can see who he needs more."

"Oh, Mrs. Kramer, I'm so sorry. I hope I'm not overstepping," I immediately started to apologize, fully aware that I was still an outsider to this family. "I'm not sure what to do right now, so I'm just trying to follow Joel's lead, but I don't mean to--"

"And that's exactly what you should be doing, dear." Her eyes were glassy, but filled with so much warmth, I swear I knew them well. And I did, because they were the same brown eyes as Joel's. "And call me, Dana. Please."

With an acknowledging nod, I let go of her hands, making one request of her before I got into my car.

"Could you, maybe, give Dom a call and let him know how the ruling went? Just so he's not blindsided when we get there."

"I'll do that," she agreed. "Oh, and try to make sure he eats something; he hasn't all day. And he won't want to, but...I'm worried he won't take care of himself."

"Miss Kram--Dana. Your son took care of me when I was at my lowest. I fully intend to do the same for him."

"Thank you, Marley."

***

The ride back was hard. I'd never seen Joel so reclusive. The whole time he pretty much just stared straight ahead, motionless, and stiff in his seat. I didn't talk, wanting to let him own his head-space, fully aware that he had a lot on his mind. Every now and again he'd come out of his daze, reach for my hand, and my heart bled for him. It was only when we were a handful of miles out from his house that he broke his silence, and I wasn't sure what to say to him.

"How can I look her in the eyes, and tell her that I failed? That...that some strangers are going to come and...take her."

"Joel."

It went quiet for a moment; him trying to build up the nerve to ask his next question, and me trying to fight back the urge to cry. My baby was in unbelievable pain and it would only get worse. There was nothing in the immediate future either of us could do to change that.

Looking over at him when I was stopped at a red light, he met my stare--brown eyes full of regret and fear--and asked, "How do I tell him?"

"Who, babe?"