PROLOGUE

Tap here to start writing

Amelia's POV

Being a part of a rich family is not all what it seems, everyone thinks that you have everything and that your life is perfect, but that is only on the outside, no one really knows what goes on when the doors are closed. That is the biggest problem, everyone treats you different and you never really get any 'real' friends or a real chance at your own life.

When I was just a child my life was perfect, I had real friends and attended a public school like everyone else in my neighbourhood. It was just me and my mother, we were not wealthy and were just an average family, I often wondered if things would have been different if I had a father or siblings, but I do not so I never dwell on it too much. My mother never speaks about my father; we do not even have any photos. He passed away before I was born and I know my mother was heartbroken for years, I would hear her at night crying, and I knew it was because he was gone. Me and mum were so alike which made us closer, we looked and acted the same, we both had long brunette hair, hazel eyes, and a big heart.

Just after my 13th birthday my mother met Mason, he was an older man with not much about him really, but they seemed like they were in love, so I was happy too. I had never known what it was like to have a father-figure around the house to look up to; I was so excited that I finally would. Things were perfect, we would do things a normal family would, like go on holiday and have games nights at home. Eventually we moved in with Mason and that is when I found out he was very wealthy but that did not change the way I felt about our new family. He asked my mother to marry him not long after we moved in and the wedding was amazing. I could not have been happier, and my life was perfect. Or so I thought.

After the wedding things slowly started to change, Mum and Mason would be out all the time going to different events, I was alone almost every day and when they were at home, I was never allowed to be downstairs with them as it was an adult's only area. My mother started to demand that I was to call her by her real name, Isabelle. If I ever slipped up and called her mother, I would be locked in the basement for 12 hours as punishment which eventually became more convenient for them, so I was moved down to the basement on a permanent basis. I was only ever allowed out when I was going to school or when they were not home. The basement was small, but it did have a washroom and all our old furniture from before my mother met Mason, so I was lucky on that I guess. If the furniture were not here I would have had to sleep on the floor.

The day I turned 18 things changed again, even though I was an adult they still treated me like a little child until I was told I had to get a job and pay for my own things, I did not mind because I wanted to be independent and earn some money. They were the richest couple around and yet they were too tight to buy me anything, I do not ask for much only the essentials, but this was too much for them, apparently. Every day when I finished college, I would go to work at the café a few miles away from my house, all the money I made I saved so when I had enough, I could move out. I was literally counting down the days until I had saved enough. My life would soon begin when I moved and that is the only thing that was getting me through living in this hell and I know I needed to get out soon, because the way Mason started to look at me made me on edge.

I will escape and I will live my life the way I want to, I just need to find the right time.

Aiden's POV

I must admit I love my life, surrounded by family and friends, we may not be the richest of families, but we are happy. Growing up I always knew I was different to the rest of my family; my brother looks exactly like my mother and father with light brown hair and blue eyes and well me, I'm nothing like them, I have brunette hair and hazel eyes, even our facial features are nothing alike. I started asking questions and eventually when I was 12 my parents finally told me I was adopted, I wanted to know more about my real parents as anyone would but I could never find anything until I overheard my mother and father arguing one night about my real mother and how she and her husband was the wealthiest family in the city. Even after the truth came out, I did not care because I loved my family and could not imagine a better upbringing, so we agreed to put it behind us.