Chapter 41: Everyones so happy

“Hello everyone and Welcome to Doomsland’s annual dragon riding competition!”

The arena roared to life as I came out onto the balcony overlooking the three dragons. The arena was shaped like a dome, the clear removable roof stayed closed to keep the dragons from fleeing along with the chains that currently bound them. Citizens filled every seat in the stands that surrounded the beasts, all of them cheering the loudest they could. They were all waiting for Lilly to enter the gates and do a personal review of each dragon, she did it every year and the crowd loved it. This was after all Doomsland’s favorite pass time, Lilly would be with the dragons, I would announce, and well Chloe would sit and watch because she was a princess and that’s what princesses did.

The General was meant to sit with us up in the balcony but I had sent Knox on an errand before we arrived just to hold him off as long as we could. I didn’t want Lilly to have to deal with him and I doubt she would want to the guy looked like a wreck.  

“Everyone’s so happy,” Chloe comments.

I turn to see her sitting stiffly in her crystal throne, she’s staring at the crowds gravely and I thank Disney that no one can see their princess in such distress. Ever since she ended things with Peter she hasn’t been the same, I guess none of us have. Thoughts of Will drown my mind, it feels like a repetitive death. I really was falling for him and he looked me in the eye and was prepared to kill me yet I miss his voice, his kiss, and his touch.

“In dark times we must create light. We just got you back, our people see the light at the tunnel, it’s our job to get them there,” I encourage.

“Be real Athena there’s nothing left for us to do, were on the losing end of this battle and for these people the light at the end of the tunnel is going to be a train,” Chloe scoffs but those weren’t her words.

I look towards the balconies entrance and my eyes take in Lilly’s undeniable frown. What happy sisters I have! At least we can be miserable together.

“What are you doing here Lilly? You expected to enter in less than twenty minutes!”

Lilly glares at my and throws herself onto her thrown letting out a long, heavy sigh “BloodSheds down there.”

Wow thanks for the tip “Okay and…”

Lilly looks taken back from my question but slowly collects herself. She chooses not to respond as her eyes travel down to the arena and get hung up on the massive red dragon. After a few minutes of silence she finally stands up and without a word leaves, hopefully to fulfill her duties as a Queen.

“I’m worried about her,” Chloe mumbles, staring off after her.

I sight in agreement “I’m worried about all of us.”

“Wilfred there is nothing left to do!” A masculine voice yells.

Both Chloe and I look towards the shuffling behind the closed balcony door. Great. I thought we would get a little bit of time without him.

The door flies open and in walks my favorite royal advisor and my least favorite General. I want to laugh at Wilfred’s scowl but the tense atmosphere created by Knox’s presence keeps me from doing so.

The General turns to look at us but pauses when he notices our pointed glares. Both of us would happily rip his head off right now but just as I told Lilly, there’s too much paperwork. I examine his appearance and I almost feel bad for him. He has dark bags under his eyes probably from not having slept since Lilly ended things, but not because he misses her, because he worries for his life.

I guess he decided to just ignore the tension because he flashes each of us a warm smile and walks over to stand beside me, looking out over the arena. Why does he have to stand so close? My resolve is wearing thin!

“Bloodshed… Of course,” He mutters to himself, just loud enough for me to hear. Why would he know about Lilly’s go to dragon? Oh… That’s why she didn’t want to be near the poor dragon, I’d bet that she showed him to Knox and now BloodShed reminds her of him. Poor soul.

I watch as his eyes assesses the other two dragons in the ring, neither were the size of the massive red one. One was blue and fairly dainty, probably from being worked so hard, Lilly won’t like that. Then the black one was probably the creepiest dragon I have ever laid eyes on. It’s massive, almost as large as BloodShed but in slouches over and stands strongly on it's clawed feet. It had been hissing at the audience, barring it's prominent teeth and snapping at them everyone in a while. I never knew that Dragons hissed but I wish I could go back to not knowing because I hate the thought of Lilly being caged in there with it.  

“What the hell?” Knox whispers, staring intently at the black beast. Okay what is this guy’s problem? “But that couldn’t be…”

    “Care to share?” Chloe suggests. Knox remains silent, angering the both of us even more, even Wilfred groaned in frustration. Chloe and Wilfred come over and join us, trying to figure out what has lover boy all stiff.

    “Where’s Lilly?” Know demands, turning to me and looking more serious than I had ever seen.

    “Wouldn’t you like to know,” Wilfred scoffs.

    Knox’s eyes widen and he turns to look at Wilfred and then the rest of us “So I’m guessing you guys know everything.”

    “Got a problem with that Brit?” Chloe utters, quirking an eyebrow at him.

    “Okay I get it you hate me! But can we just forget about that for one second because as someone from Wonderland I know that the black ‘dragon’ in there isn’t in an actually dragon!”

    “What are you talking about?” I demand, standing taller.

    “It’s a Jabberwocky!” Oh. My. Disney.

    “Like a real one or…?” Wilfred ponders trying to deny the fact that Lilly is going to be walking into her death. Way to stall you idiot! Knox seems to share my thought process because in seconds he's zooming out of the balcony and out of our view.

    “I’m going to go make sure she’s okay, you two stay here in case things go wrong,” I rush.

    Running out of the room I descend the stairs practically jumping down five at a time. I hope Knox gets there in time, she’s supposed to have already entered by now and that thought kills me.

When I finally exit the dome entirely I make a move to run into the entrance tunnel a hand jerks me back while another hand covers my mouth, repressing my screams.  

****Heyy if you liked this chapter please turn the star yellow... or white depending on the device your using! And be sure to comment your favorite or maybe least favorite parts? I welcome criticism!

Picture ^ or > is of the Jabberwocky! Dun Dun Dun!!!!!!!! 

Any way stay classy

TDD <3