Chapter 42: Last breath

I entered into the stadium, the crowds erupting into shouts and cheers. My eyes scanned the crowds before I dipped down into a pleasing bow causing the shouts to grow with pride. Here we are celebrating when we stand at the brink of war, Disney, these people don’t even know. The smiles on their faces and the happiness in their hearts are genuine, if only they knew.

I walked over to stand in front of the three dragons that towered over me in height. Each dragon was unique, one was black, the other blue and then of course BloodShed. I didn’t much care for the blue one because I already knew it was going to lose. The poor thing looks weak and worked to the point of exhaustion. BloodShed was BloodShed so I already knew he would be the winner, the only doubt I had about that was that I was not familiar with the black one and that worried me.

My eyes followed along all of the chains that bond each dragon to where they stood, making sure all was well before approaching any of them. Something I never typically do but the black dragons presence was making me uneasy. Usually dragons are perfectly fine with me, especially BloodShed because I choose him for personal use all the time but when dragons are near their own kin they tend to be a little rowdy, hence the chains. The blue dragon seemed in order along with BloodShed but when I took a closer look at the black ones I could see that the chains were attached to the dragon perfectly…

But the other end of the chain was noticeably loose.

What was going on? The chains were meant for my safety and the only one that would actually kill me is fully prepared to do so.

Keeping my guard up but continuing on with the event I do a detailed check of the blue dragon, only really confirming that it really won’t win. Of course I don’t tell the crowd that, just to keep things interesting.

I stand in front of BloodShed when a servant voice calls out “Hey! Your not allowed in there!”

BloodShed’s head tilts up at the arrival of a new guest, the way he snaps his jaw means he likes the new person. There is only one other person aside from me that this dragon likes and that’s the one person I would love to never see again.

My plan was to make a snarky comment and then make him go away, saying something along the lines of this is not the time or place but that was before he gripped my arm tightly and yanked me into him. As soon as I made contact with his hard chest I swung around and slapped him across the face. It was only when the crowd started to yell at him that I realized what I had done. Sorry not sorry.

Knox looked shocked from my hit. He brought his hand up and grabbed his jaw, shifting it back and forth. I smiled at the pink tinge starting to form on his sharp cheek. The best part was probably that my people weren't surprised but cheering me on. Only time I will ever love people.

“I guess I deserved that,” Knox muttered. I simply responded with a grin and I could tell he was fighting the urge to roll his eyes. Knox then cast a weary glance behind me at the black dragon and I took my time watching him. His eyes had dark circles under them and his lips were set in a firm frown. What happened to him?

“We have to get you out of here,”

His words are spoken sternly, chilling me to bone. I don’t even have to ask to know what he’s talking about. The black dragon, the caught the mistake and are now taking me to safety.  

“The black dragon, the chains are loose, it will be fine. I was just worried if it was on purpose but if you noticed I doubt the dragon will try anything with the other two not acting up,” I reassure.

Knox scrunches his eyebrows and looks over to the chains, why is he looking now? Doesn’t he already know? His eyes then widen when they seem to find what they’re looking for and his hands return to there fully grip on my upper arms.