Chapter 18: BloodShed?

“Knox!” I yell bursting into the ballroom. We have to get to the mines fast, something like this is a threat to our world along with others and things need to be done to ensure our peoples safety as soon as possible.

Now I would already be dragging the General out of here except when my eyes find him I have to suppress a laugh. He stands in the center with several neon pink table covers thrown on top of him, a scowl surely set on his face. Wilfred guides him around the room talking about how he looks fabulous in pink.

That’s it, I burst out laughing, drawing both pairs of eyes to me. As soon as Knox sees me he drops all of the table covers from embarrassment and walks over to me “Get me out of here!” I continue laughing, bracing my hands on my knees for support “Lilly as much as I love your laugh I have been doing this all day and that guy hasn’t stopped flirting with me, or… touching me. I’m uncomfortable, I’m unhappy, give me a task!” Task? Oh right! Bad things are happening. Hmm it’s not like me to get distracted.

I grab his hand and start dragging him out of the room, ignoring the feeling I get when our skin meets “There is an emergency in the mines, send as many troops as you can spare there and then meet me in my room,” I demand, letting him go once we reach the main hall, soldiers sparing us curious glances.

Knox just stands there and stares at our hands making me release his and hold both my hands behind my back. His eyes snap up to mine and he lets out a cough, running a nervous hand through his hair “Your room? What does that have to do with the mines?” He asks a quizzical look in his eye.

I sigh at his wingless stupidity “An emergency,” I re-state “Go!” And just like that he’s running around yelling orders at troops.

Running up the stairs to my room I do a quick check making sure Athena isn’t in here. I know she’s gone but you can never be too sure. As soon as I confirmed that the coast was clear I slipped in walking over to the window and opening it up.  I breathed in the sweet smell of fresh air, it’s too bad I didn’t get to take that long fly to the enchanted forest, I really needed it. Taking in another big breath I let out a high-pitched whistle hoping to catch a certain creatures attention.

“Okay innocent what happened?” Knox asks coming through the door, he gave a quick look around the room and turning back to me to speak again, this time with his accent “Why are we all the way up here?”

“Ever heard of fallen stars?” I asked, my eyes staring out the window, waiting.

“The powerful things you guys mine, of course I know them. You cut my world off a little while ago, boy were they an angry bunch of potheads,” He muttered walking up to stand close beside me.

“Well over one thousand of them were stolen from the mines, we don’t know when, we don’t know how, and we don’t know why.”