Making of a warrior

Mahendragiri Parvat, 3 years later

It was very early morning. The sun had not risen properly yet. The entire Mahendragiri mountain was silent. Normally the forests were filled with birds' callings, rustling sounds of leaves, cries of animals or stridulation of insects. But today the entire area was eerily silent as if nature was also waiting for the upcoming calamity. 

If anyone came near the clearing in front of Lord Parshuram's abode, they would see an astonishing scene. At one end stood a well-built man. Though he was old and had a white mustache and beard on his face, but his muscular body proved that even at that age he could beat any strong warrior. he had a divine glow in his face and had a movement like a true warrior. The man wore white dhoti and angvastra and had a scary-looking Axe in his hand.

On the other side stood a boy of 17-18 years. He was a tall, lean, athletic built figure. Though he had no muscular like the wrestlers but he had a well-sculptured body as if created by some genius sculptor. The young man had fair, flawless skin that was radiating under the morning sun giving a soft glow around his body.  The body also had an ax in his hand but his eyes were blindfolded with a dark cloth. Both of them were moving in a circle as if two apex predators were ready to pounce on each other. The young man remembered his Guru's instruction that was given to him last evening, 'Putra, tomorrow I will take a test which will decide if you are ready to go to the next level or not. For the last 3 years, you are not only getting training to reach mastery in every kind of weapon known to me but also meditating to evoke the yogshakti inside you. So now it's time to see if you are successful in evoking the inner strength or the Yogic shakti inside you or not?'

Karna also remembered that three years back before starting his secondary level training both of his Gurus told him, ' Every human has an immense source of energy within himself but they do not use it. By this Yog sadhana, you can activate the seven Kundalini chakras which will help you not only to control your strength but also to understand your opponent's weakness. Our five senses are our biggest weapons but our Ripus Kam (lust), Krodha (anger), Lobha (greed), Mada (arrogance), Moha (delusion), Matsarya (jealousy) always blocked our chakras and weakened our senses. Common people are slaves of these Ripus. But if you can control the Ripus then you can strengthen your chakras, Thus you can be the master of your soul. In every aspect of life, you can never be influenced or addicted by distractions and can take every decision whether it will be on the battlefield or in the courtroom, properly.' For the last three years, Karna was taking weapon training from Guru Parshuram and Shastra training from Guru Viswamitra. Both of his Gurus also helped in Yoga training. Karna was like a sponge who soaked all the information and never forgot anything. Within three years he achieved the impossible by completing all the lessons given by his Gurus. So today was the day when his Gurus would take his test. As per Guru Parshuram's condition, sage Vishwamitra blindfolded him. Lord Parshuram wanted to see if Karna, without using his eyes and just by using his other senses and intuitions could fight his opponent.

Karna was trying to sense his opponent's position. Suddenly he felt that Guru Parshuram jumped and move his axe towards his head but Karna at the last moment leapt backwards. Then he moved his axe in an arc to hit Parshuram but he also moved away. Karna used his agility to block and dodge all attacks. Parshuram observed that Karna was using his sharp hearing to locate his position, so he used other tactics. As a master of Yoga, he could make himself lighter and could stop any noise formed by his footsteps. Karna at first was a little startled as he could not hear his opponent's movements but he was also a master of controlling his senses. He just focused his mind on his surroundings and used his intuitions to predict from where could he expect an attack and successfully dodged all assaults. After some time Karna successfully blocked Lord Parashurama's ax making the competition a tie.

Next, they fought with mace, sword, spear, even in hand to hand combat and every time Karna was successful in blocking every attack. Every time he successfully stopped his teacher even without using his eyes, he even defeated him in sword and spear and hand to hand fighting. Sage Viswamitra who was watching the competition, was mesmerized by Karna'a skill. Lord Parshuram the avatar of Vishnu was either defeated or blocked by a mere human young boy, that was almost impossible to believe. 

Viswamitra, 'The first day when I saw Karna, I realized that he was not just a common human being. Now I am sure, Karna was born with Devansh. Otherwise, no one can fight with Lord Parshuram for long.'

Now the test of his archery skill was started. Bow was Karna's favorite. Lord Parshuram and Karna were dwelling with each other. Parshuram did not use any shastras from the Tridev's but he used all other Divyastra. But every time Karna could somehow sense the type of Divyastra and countered it. Suddenly Karna chanted and a special Astra was launched. It created thousands of arrows but Lord Parshuram understood that most of them were illusions but some are actual weapons. He was astonished as he never saw that kind of weapon and before he could react, one of the Arrow broke his bow. Lord Parshuram was fighting with an ordinary bow so he knew that it was prone to destruction unlike Vijaya but he was stunned to see Karna's creativity. He himself made a new type of arrow which could create both illusion and real arrows simultaneously. Sage Viswamitra blew the conch and the competition had ended.

Karna opened his blindfold. He bowed in front of both his Gurus. They were immensely pleased with Karna's progress.

Guru Parshuram, 'My son, you are my best student so far. At such a young age you achieved the impossible. You not only mastered yourself in different types of weapons, you yourself can create new weapons. I am proud of you.'

Sage Viswamitra, 'My son, you are now an expert in all Vedas, Sashtras, rajniti, kutniti,samajniti arthashastra...whatever a king needs to rule a country. Now you are ready.'

Karna, 'Thank you Pravu, but I have one question. I heard that Mahamahim Bheesmhas Brhammastra. I also wanted to learn it.'

Lord Parshuram, 'My son, I can give you some Astras of Tridev's as well. But before that you need to pass another test. Now go and freshen up. You must be tired.'

Karna, 'Okay Prabhu, as you wish.'

After Karna left sage Viswamitra asked, 'Pravu, what is the test you are talking about? Karna already became a master of weapons and Yogshakti. Then why do you need more tests?'

Parshuram, 'It is not the test of weaponry or physical strength. It will be the test of self-control. I want to see if Karna can control his Ripus or not. I cannot give the most powerful weapons to a person who himself is a slave of Ripus.'

Viswamitra, 'But my lord I saw Karna has no greed for wealth or fame. He is not jealous of anyone's talent as when I praised Drona Shisya Arjun, he just showed curiosity but had no malice in his heart for his rival. He is neither arrogant like those brats of Princes, nor is he delusional about his status like that Arjun. So when Drona is ready to give Brahmmastra to his student  Arjun who is arrogant, selfish, greedy for power, then why don't you give it to Karna?'

Lord Parashuram, 'Drona is giving it to his student as for him his students are nothing but some tools by which he can take his revenge and fulfill his desire to get wealth and fame. He is now nothing but a servant of Hastinapur and wants to stay in the good books of the Royalties. But I want to give all the knowledges to the person who is worthy. That is why I gave Drona and Bheesm the knowledge of Brammastra only. I did not give them Bhargav astra or Pashupat astra. I want to know if Karna can control lust and anger. If he can pass that test, then I will give him all my knowledges.  

Note- As I said before, both Pandavas and Kauravas have bad qualities in them. The way Arjun forced Drona to cut Eklavya's thumb, I feel that he was arrogant and selfish. Please don't start fighting here as this is just my own imagination, not the original Mahabharat. 

And for those who wanted to see Karna as a perfect good boy, this fic is not for them. Karna is also dark. He can manipulate, conspire and do many things that are not Dharma. But he will be a king and according to me a king shall not follow Dharma blindly. A king should do anything and everything for the betterment of his people even by using Saam, Daam, Dand, Ved.