The man with the broken heart

The entire Rangamati village was decorated properly to welcome the new King of Banga. All the villagers gathered near the entrance with flowers, garlands, the chief's wife was ready with an aarti, the villagers also managed to arrange some gifts with the small money they had. The current chief unlike the previous one was a weak and greedy person.  The chief Sudeep thought, 'My father always lectured me not to tolerate the preposterous orders from the officials but what did he get for his bravery and ideologies? Nothing, instead due to his refusal to bow down in front of the royal officials this village suffered greatly. No... we are not some warriors who can stand against the soldiers. To stay alive we have to obey them no matter what and to live properly I need money. Till now by supplying girl I got money from king Chandraketu. Now I will give the new king whatever he wants.'

Sudeep instructed the villagers,' Listen, don't try to pull the stunt like that girl did last time. You all saw what happened to her. So do whatever the king orders. Whatever he wants wine, women or anything else, we have to provide him.'

Adhirath and Radha listened to him. After the incident happened six months back, they distanced themselves from the rest of the villages. The villagers secretly admired them and their daughter for their valor but still could not approach them as the chief forbade.

Then the villagers saw a royal convoy was coming towards the village. Chief Sudeep, signaled the villagers when the villagers blew the conches and they started showering flowers on the royal officials, ministers. Then they saw a huge royal chariot was coming on which the Magadha's flag with sun symbol was flowing majestically. They realized that it might be the king's chariot. Then it came closer and they saw the king clearly and what they saw completely mesmerized them. A tall, well built man was sitting on the chariot. He has a fair complexion and the radiant glow he had created a golden aura around him. The village ladies were swooning over the look of the person. They had never seen such a handsome warrior before. But if he was the king then why didn't he wear the crown? He wore a royal dress but minimal jewellery. The chariot stopped in front of the village and the Governor of Banga declared, 'Hail to Maharaj.'

All cheered, 'Long live Maharaj.'

Everyone was excited to see the young king, till now Adhirath and Radaha were standing there passively but suddenly Radha started feeling restless. As if something was going to happen, some positive energy was surrounding them. But she could not understand the reason. She heard the women around her were talking about the look of the new king. But she did not have an iota of intension to look at the royal man. He might come here just to have a free entertainment with the village girls, but suddenly she felt her heart was having a soothing feeling. She could not stand these conflicting emotions anymore so she turned and left. Adhirath also saw her wife leaving, went behind her.

The young king came down from the chariot. Thhe chief ordered the villagers to start the music. Till now the village girls were scared but they did not see any lust on his eyes. The king came in front of the chief and Sudeep's wife came with the aarti on her hand. But before she welcomed him, the king signaled her to stop. The village women stopped the music and singing. The chief thought that the king might do not like as a lower class woman was welcoming him, so he said meekly, 'Maharaj, I am sorry as we do not have any Brahmin here to welcome you. The priest of our village died six months ago and till now the position is vacant. I am sorry Maharaj, if we insult you.'

The king looked at him and said, 'Shreeman, I myself is a Suta by gotro and I am proud of my lineage. I don't believe in the caste system. But the reason I stopped your wife from doing my aarti, as there is only one woman in the village who has the right to do it.'

The villagers were dumbfounded, which woman he was referring to? Then the Maharaj signaled two guards who were posted in the village for the last seven days. He then asked, 'Where are they?'