Chapter Twenty-Three

James

"Alpha?" I frowned, "What are you even talking about? How could an Alpha get attacked?"

"Yeah, really," he mumbled, drumming his fingers on the table, "At first I thought the same thing as well." He said his voice louder that time, "But then slowly got used to it since, you know, all the things lately happening around us is quite bizarre, to begin with ."

I couldn't deny what Drake just stated. It was true and indeed it was all bizarrely awkward for us. The predicaments lately occurring around with all the prophesies changing faster than the direction of the wind, got us all in an unaccountable situation. None of us had any idea about what was going on at the same time no one was there to guide us through. Not even the Book of Myths.

"That's all you have to say?" I asked.

"You seem to be in a rush." He said raising an eyebrow, "Sex life?"

I scoffed, "Seriously, Drake?" I mumbled, "You are too uptight. Go get laid or something like that."

"Uptight?" He shook his head, "And, you don't have to worry about my sex life. My tool is quite energetic, no matter how tired I am, or maybe uptight, as you claim." He boasted with pride. His eyes glowed as he looked at the ceiling, pride-filled aura radiating through him.

"I never asked about your tool." I cringed, "And when did you even get laid?"

"Curious much I see." He smirked.

"Right. You wish," I rolled my eyes, "Anyway, about the alpha being victimised-"

He interrupted, "Oh, yeah, I forgot."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "I'm leaving." I turned around once again facing towards the door.

"It was around the borders, you know." He paused. I looked back at him to see a serious expression being held on his face.

"So?" I asked looking at him.

He raised an eyebrow, "It is quite impressive," he said, giving me a bovine filled expression, "I wonder how you survived for so long as an Alpha."

"Stop insulting me," I growled.

"Oh! Wait it's because of me you're still alive." He grinned, a forced one. "You seriously don't have any idea about the outside world, James."

"Then enlighten me." I challenged, crossing my arms.

"Can't you see the weight of the entire situation? The sudden change of the myths and then suddenly an Alpha getting attacked? Out of all the people a pack holds, why an alpha?" He exasperated as his breath hitched at the end of the sentence.

"Maybe he was not enough cautious?" I reasoned.

"James, I repeat, you have no idea how creepy this entire thing is." He repeated, "It's not a normal thing to happen especially after," he whispered, "that myth."

"Which myth are you referring to?" I asked, my heart rate racing, aware of the fact that another alarming fact was going to be exposed soon.

Every time Drake called, something unusually bad was there waiting for me. It turned into a ritual for the past few months and I was used to it. It would be rather surprising if Drake called just for a normal chat and not for the sake of exploding another fact.

"Are you even listening to me?" Drake asked moving his palm in front of my face.

I swear a second ago he was sitting far away while I stood there near the door. Who was I even kidding with? Being a werewolf had its own advantages. And maybe I was forgetting all those due to everything happening around me lately.

"Can you repeat it?" I sighed.

"You've been spacing off a lot lately," he stated, "Anyway, as I was saying, according to the book of myth, Alpha's are blessed with the authority and the power which no one would dare to cross. They are born with that from within and every time a new alpha takes the position it readjusts, it's like a fate written over." He paused, walking away towards the table and pulled two chairs out.

"You might want to sit down before we continue," he smiled, "I can't imagine you fainting there."

"It's not like the floor is going to drag itself out from underneath me." I laughed at his comment.

"It might, you never know." An ominous smile crept up lips as he ushered me to take a seat.

"Right." I huffed, traipsing my way towards the chair. "Continue."

"Yes, as I was saying, destiny and fate, do you know the fact that ones lack knowledge can bring disgrace?" He asked solemnly.

"Yeah," I trailed off, "Why do I have a feeling that you're going to say something and then relate it to me?"

"Exactly!" He bellowed, "That's right!"

"But there is nothing, not a single bit of information about me getting harmed." I protested, "There is no point for you creating more distress for the both of us."

"I'm not creating distress, as you call it." He scoffed, "I don't like wasting my time sitting in front of the Book of Myths trying to figure out the prophecies. It's not a pleasant feeling as you consider it to be."

"Then why are you doing all these? I never asked you to."

"Can't you see? I'm doing all this for your sake." He vociferated, "I'm fucking doing this all because of your protection. You're just too blind to understand anything. Tell me, what's the point for me being up all night trying to figure out the myths? What benefit do I have or what do I get in return for those sleepless nights, where I changed and joined along all the patrol routes to make sure no harm comes near you?"

I waited a few seconds for him to continue but he didn't. Silence consumed us as I stood there gaping at him.

"But it's your duty as my Beta," I stated, the answer strumming inside my head.

He laughed dryly, a forced one, "You are never going to change. I think you should go and give your position up to Jace. He's the sensible one out here."

"Jace? Why do you people always compare me with Jace?" I shouted, angst running through me.

"We don't, you're just too full of yourself to admit the reality. Jace is the smarter one here and he knows his ropes. " He stated his eyes gazing at me, "At least he won't make the mistakes as you."

I slammed my hand against the table. A loud thud surrounded the air as the stack of papers made its way towards the tiled floor.

"I am leaving," I announced, making my way towards the door.

"Sure, as always," Drake mumbled from behind as I slammed the door close behind me and made my way towards my room. It was going to be one hell of a night and I was aware of it.

A/N:

James is arrogant and too full of himself as always. Drake is such a good friend and Beta. 😍 What else do you need in life when you have someone like Drake?

Anyway, the next update will be up soon, on Friday to be exact. (Hopefully)

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Till Friday —

–peaceout–