Chapter Sixty-Three

James

I traipsed my way to Alina's room, with a heart-pounding faster than ever and a mind full of anxiety and fear. I terribly missed Drake. I even missed all these taunts. I knew if he was next to me he would have said something like:

"You reap what you sow. I told you, millions of times, but you never listen to me, James."

The entire pack was aware of his death and they mourned with me, but soon after they wanted a new Beta declared. How could they possibly even consider someone else worthy of the position that belonged to Drake? I found myself agitated at how quickly the members of my pack were willing to replace someone who worked endlessly for their benefit.

The world was way too cruel. Everyone was looking for their own gain, even at the cost of losing their Beta who always put them first.

A sudden thought crawled back to my mind.

How the fuck did I even replace my own mate with someone else?

Hailey was my childhood friend, we grew up together. I was well aware of her personality and flaws. I chose her over someone who was mated to me by fate itself. I not only denied what the Moon Goddess had chosen for me, but I had also twisted the fate of three other werewolves alongside.

I not only failed myself, but I failed Drake and Alina. I was a horrible leader, friend and a mate.

Everything I ever had crumbled just because I wanted to man up and carry my responsibility. I should have never thought of rejecting Alina on my eighteenth birthday or let her go.

As a matter of fact, I was well aware of what Beta Neil had said a few days ago. Even though his words stung, I knew he was looking out for Alina. I also knew he despised me.

Personal opinions.

I found myself stressing over the things they probably discussed me. I dreaded the thought of them telling Alina to let go of me. I wouldn't be able to live with it if she left me. My wolf was already throwing tantrums at me, threatening to stop talking to me forever and eventually deflate, killing me.

I genuinely wanted to treat Alina the way she deserved to be treated. I didn't want to let her down again.

I stood outside her door, trying to gather enough courage to tell her everything that had been going on in my mind. I gulped nervously, repeating what I was going to say to her to myself, I knocked on her door but she didn't respond. I slowly opened the door and peeked in, the room was empty. Her scent was faint, almost non-existent.

Alina? — I tried to mind-link her.

No response.

I walked around the packhouse, trying to sniff her scent, but unfortunately couldn't find any lead to trail.

Jace, have you seen Alina? — I asked.

I saw her head towards the library an hour ago, why? — He replied back through the mind-link.

I couldn't sense her in her room. I can't find Beta Neil and Ron as well.

They are probably around somewhere, strolling. — He replied and disconnected the link.

I rushed towards the library with my heart racing against my chest once again. Ths air inside the packhouse felt cooler than usual against my burning face. I was nervous as hell, anticipating her response to everything that I was going to tell her.

"Why are you rummaging through the drawers?" I asked. Alina dropped the book she had in her hand on the floor. She shut one of the drawers loudly making me raise my eyebrows at her.