Chapter Forty-Six

Alina

A week went by.

James was still unconscious and I was by his side all the time. Drake had made sure to bring me my meals and occasionally talk to me just to keep me sane. I was grateful for all his efforts.

Drake reminded me of Neil and seeing him worry about James, made me think of the bond Luke and Neil shared. They would kill for each other and even take a bullet for the other if needed. I was happy that James had someone as faithful as him for his Beta and friend. Drake was a talkative person and it took me a whole day to figure that out. He could talk nonstop for hours without even the need to breathe.

Well, it felt like so at least. I snickered mentally. Overall he seemed alright.

I groaned and covered my face with my palms. My mind was pacing. I had too many questions I needed answers to. So far during my stay in the Dark Moon pack, I had managed to figure out a few things. James' family and pack members loved him a lot and looked up to him. My heart warmed up at the thought of it. He needed to recover soon for the sake of his parents, pack, Hailey and maybe me.

There were moments when I had to sit awkwardly as his family bawled their eyes out at his condition, especially Hailey. I couldn't leave his side as my wolf was clinging to him like her life depended on it and, it did. They were yet to question my appearance. I wondered if Beta Drake had told them anything, or maybe they just assumed me to be one of his friends.

On the other hand, my wolf was numb. She avoided any sort of communication with me. I could still feel her at the back of my mind but she wouldn't answer my questions. I really needed James to recover soon. I couldn't risk losing my own wolf when we were vulnerable from the rogue attacks. I had so much to deal with. I still needed answers to the sudden disappearance of our pack members. The mystery behind the murders and the reason that triggered the abandoned wolves. I was yet to find Luke and the answers to his sudden disappearance and change in behaviour.

A sudden sound of shuffling around the room made me look up to see Drake. He was sitting at the far end of the room with a few documents in his hand. His eyebrows scrunched as he read the contents carefully. I looked at his appearance. He had dark circles under his eyes and looked a few years older than he was. He was probably the same age as James.

I noticed him sigh soon after.

"What's wrong?" I frowned.

Drake looked up from his documents and stared at me.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head, "Nothing. I just don't know what's happening."

I looked at him for a second, "What do you mean?"

"It has been a while since the rogues went wild and started attacking packs. We are yet to find the reason for their sudden repugnance towards us." He said, rolling the documents into a cylinder. I looked at his hands fiddling with the papers and wondered if James had a similar habit as him.

"It's messed up." I articulated. "Though for some reason, I feel they are solely focussing on wiping us out so they could establish their own dominance."

Drake exhaled, "I wonder what provoked them. They were quite for hundreds of centuries after the war."

I had no answer to that.

"Plus the Book of Myth is literally of no help." He said with a scowl soon after.

I nodded ferociously. I had told Luke and Neil the same thing a few months ago. I even asked them to burn the book. It was of no help. It was only creating unnecessary confusion.

"I wanted to burn the book." I groaned out loud and soon regretted. I shouldn't be giving out any Red Blood Pack related information.

But it wasn't a pack related information, was it?

I didn't even know. My thoughts were all over the place.

"No shit. I wanted to burn it too but we can't. It's the future, our future." Drake deadpanned.

He threw the documents he was holding on the table and filed it soon after. My trail of thoughts went back to the conversation Neil and I shared before deciding to scan the Graveyard of Doom for clues. We believed it would give us some answers, solutions to everything happening around us but, instead, it wrapped me around my past. The past that I tried my level best to avoid.

"-Alright?"

"Huh?" I looked up at Drake.

He gave me a confounded look, "You've been spacing off a lot. I was asking you if you were alright."

"I am alright," I answered.

He eyed me in disbelief but didn't interrogate about it any further.

"I have been meaning to ask you." He started after a few minutes of silence, "Where did you find James?"

My eyes nearly popped out of shock. "You don't know?"

"You never told me." He catechised.

"Graveyard of Doom." I breathed out. "He was there with Jace."

"What were you doing there?" He asked, his eyes filled with curiosity.

He was trying to extract information out of me. I could tell he knew everything but was still pushing for more information from my end. I couldn't give out any confidential data.

"Needed answers to the rogue attacks," I said, keeping it brief.

"Makes sense." He nodded. "I am sorry for how it all turned out. You met our mate almost after four years and he got shot."

My eyes glistened as a flashback of it replayed inside my mind. The memory of his body lifeless on the ground made shivers run down my spine.

"He took the bullet for me." I crocked out.

I could see the pity in his eyes.

Drake's eyes softened as he looked at me. "He is your mate. No matter how much you deny the bond, you would have done the same for him if you were in his shoes."

I gulped. I knew he was right. I almost lost James and the feeling of losing him nearly wrecked me. My wolf was suffering from the pain caused by the mate bond, whereas I was terrified of the visuals of his unconscious body from my memory.

But how could I possibly lose something that didn't even belong to me?

A/N:

Literally wrote this while listening to Hot by Young Thug featuring Gunna. 😭😍.

Creativity at its peak. 😂

Don't forget to vote and comment if you like this chapter.

Thanks for reading.

Till next time-

-peaceout-