Chapter Seventy-One

Two Years Later

Alina

I was done blaming myself for everything that had happened to us. I was not the only person to blame when everyone around me played their own part of ruining things for us. The shifter we met two years ago kept his promise. The attacks died down and everyone went back to living their peaceful lives. The packs that once got destroyed soon were taken over by new werewolves, increasing the population density once again making everything green and lively. Our lives have changed significantly over the last twenty-four months.

We found James outside the Dark Moon Packhouse as promised. However, we found him unconscious. The shifters had extracted a lot of blood causing him to suffer from extreme anaemia. He had been unconscious since then because of his various underlying medical issues. Ron tried his every possible medication to bring him back to his senses but unfortunately, it did not work. He was still currently in a deep slumber, monitored by the pack healers. All we could possibly do was wait for him to wake up one day.

As months went by, I stopped thinking about scenarios where James and I would live happily ever after. That was not possible even in my dreams. My wolf stopped talking to me the same day we found James laying pale, unconscious outside the packhouse. I could still feel her at the back of my mind but she wouldn't respond to any of my words.

We discovered a dead body buried under the coconut trees near the Red Blood Packhouse. We found a badly decomposed corpse; we had to do an autopsy and a DNA test and unfortunately, it was Luke. It was difficult for us to cope with that harsh reality. We were used to him disappearing every now and then but the actual thought of him never coming back, haunted us. Ron revealed that according to his tests, Luke has been dead for a while. He estimated that Luke was killed the day he disappeared for the very first time. It was the shifter who returned to us with burns and bruises all over his body. Ron also assumed that the burns and bruises were caused because the shifter came in contact with the protective barrier that shields the shrine. The same shrine where laid the remains of the witch who cursed and turned a human village into werewolves.

The Red Blood Pack not only lost their Alpha but they also lost a leader who would go through any means to protect his pack. As much as I have seen, Luke was a better Alpha, always making the right decisions and was not entirely dependent on his Beta. Neil was given a proposition to take over the Alpha position but he declined. He believed it was not fair and he also didn't have the heart to take something which belonged to his best friend. Neil was satisfied with fulfilling his duty as a Beta. He was also busy focusing on his two-year-old pup, Jasper. Jasper was born a few weeks after we discovered Luke's body buried under the coconut trees.

Time sure flies.

The Dark Moon Pack, on the other hand, needed their Alpha. We had not heard from Jace in the last two years. The former Alpha Wellington and his wife moved away from the pack, leaving it vulnerable. It was strange to see them ditch their own pack when their son was clearly unable to take control. We had no other option but to merge the Red Blood and the Dark Moon pack.

I had to take over and fulfil the role of an Alpha for both the packs.

"Where are you going?" Neil asked. He was carrying his two-year-old who reached out to me with his tiny hands. I took Jasper from Neil and carried him in my arms.

"I'm just going to see James for a bit," I said.

"I don't think he is ever going to wake up," Neil stated.

"I think."

"I am so glad you finally saw your worth and decided to move on in life," Neil said. Jasper cooed in my arms and reached out to his father. Neil took him from me as we walked towards James' room.