Chapter Thirty-Six

Alina

"You're just taking it all too seriously." Luke chirped, munching down on a bag of crisps. His head rested at the back of his chair as he sat there, carefree.

I shook my head, "I don't know."

Maybe he was right. I was taking it all too seriously. The words spoken by the rogue strummed some cords inside my head which affected me more than it should. I was not expecting her to be so authentic at least not about the differences between us which she announced without a single a bit of fear.

Fear.

I was amazed by the look of her eyes while we were standing there near her. Even though she had been held captive for more than a month, as we stood there with the news of her death placed on a silver platter in front of her, she was not scared. She didn't even flinch when Luke said she was to be punished. Instead, she stood around strong and tall with a look of confidence. Not a single bit of fear was there displayed on her face for us to notice. And I didn't even understand from where such bravery came from.

You guys are filthy. Blinded by the glitter of power. The words strummed with empowerment inside my mind. It wasn't true. It couldn't be. We were not blinded by passion or power as she claimed, or else we would have been categorized under the same group.

You people are just like us, ruthless.

"Look, stop giving a damn about everything. Life will get much easier, trust me." Luke said, tossing the empty packet across the room. The packet swiftly landed inside a plastic dustbin which was placed a couple of feet away. He effortlessly moved his chair and pulled out a tissue to wipe his palm.

"Since when did you get so..clean?" I mused, looking at him.

It was new. I was amused by the action he pulled in front of me just a moment ago. He didn't even whine about the dustbin being placed so far from him. He was lazy, lazy enough to keep it close to him in order to avoid getting up from his seated position to dispose of papers or anything related to food.

He laughed and crumbled the tissue tossing it towards the bin after wiping his hands.
"Since..today?" He grinned.

I smirked, "It seems like your accident transformed you."

"Oh, don't remind me of that." He cringed, "It was awful. I missed being home."

I sighed and nodded, not being able to forget the problems we had to deal with during Luke's absence. It was horrid, the reports of missing members, the death of one of our pack fighter and then again, the chaos of other packs being burnt down. The horrifying predicaments never seemed to die down until Luke's return.

My gaze shifted towards his face to see a smile as he looked down at some papers that laid ahead on the table in front of him. He was calmer than usual.

"What are you thinking?" I asked, curiously.

The smile he had on his face disappeared. "Just some ways to improve the pack's current stats. It's bad."

I frowned, "What are you talking about?"

"The current stats, it's- wait, where is Neil? I haven't seen him after the execution of the rogue down the cells." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"He's with his mate I guess, since she's you know, pregnant," I answered, hopefully.

He chuckled awkwardly, "Okay. So, I don't know what to say." He sighed placing his arms on the table to stretch.

"Your burnt patches." I gaped, "It didn't heal yet."

"Yeah," he rolled his eyes, "I was expecting such reactions from you. And about the wounds, I don't know. It's healing slowly."

I ignored his previous statement, "It doesn't look like it is."

"Sure." He mumbled sarcastically.

"I'll talk to doctor Ron about it-"

"No need. It will heal by itself." He muttered getting up from his seat, "I'll see you later, I've got some tasks to take care of." He said and walked out of the office.

Meanwhile
James' point of view.

"That doesn't even make any sense!" I growled. "What makes you think the soil is from there."

"Because- it's black?" Jace chuckled. He was enjoying my dismay and I was aware of that.

"Stop cracking jokes. It's not the right time. And the colour of the soil simply doesn't prove his visit to the graveyard of doom. Why would he go there, anyway?" I reasoned.

"This is your pack. You should know better. And about the colour, yes, it does matter because the graveyard of doom is the only place where that kind of soil is available." Jace rolled his eyes, pointing towards the north. "I wasn't expecting you to be so naive, James. You're the Alpha bro! Don't act like a snob which you always do."

I ignored him.

"He's right you know." Drake butted in, looking at me. "You should listen to his explanation at least."

"What will he explain? Some made-up stories?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Ouch, I'm still here you know." He muttered. "I didn't get one thing though, what was your pack member doing there, anyway? Like was he on some sort of scavenger hunt or something?"

I snorted and rolled my eyes, "Firstly, the graveyard of doom is sealed. No werewolves can penetrate through the barriers placed to protect the area by some stupid humans-" I started to explain.

"-Monks." Jace corrected.

"Yeah, monks." I groaned, "It's been for a while now, and no werewolves or any other creatures would dare to cross that place because- they can't, it's protected and that they will get killed if they try to. The entire area is sealed!"

"It's not 'sealed' as you claim." Jace rolled his eyes, "Stop believing all the rumours that fly by."

"Rumours?" I repeated in disbelief, "Are you out of your mind?"

"No, but you are. I'm actually shocked, I wasn't expecting you to be the type who falls for those lame-ass rumours people tend to spread." He calmly stated.

"Firstly, it's not a rumour. Everyone knows about it. And secondly, you talk way too big."

"You must be already aware that the graveyard of doom contains the shrine of the witch where the pure soil of her grave still lies."

"Yes. Where are you leading to with his certain topic?" I asked.

"You see that's the only place which is sealed with holy barriers, to protect the shrine and the remainings from any evil access. The rest of the graveyard aside from that shrine is free from any sorts of barriers. So it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that it wouldn't kill you if you roam and walk around the graveyard that too as long as you keep your distance from the shrine. That particular shrine."

"You speak as if you've been there yourself." I taunted.

"Maybe I have...you never know. Oh, and before you start bombarding me with millions of questions, please let's dispose of this body." He cringed his nose pointing at the corpse that laid behind us. "The smell, it's so bad."

Author's note:

Sorry I couldn't update as promised. My WiFi was down 😒.

If you like this chapter,

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thanks xx.