Chapter Fourteen

Alina

"Do you agree to all the above statements?" Alpha Luke asked, his tone filled with authority. The rest of the pack members stayed quiet as I stood there in front of them. It wasn't them but the silence bringing out its own form of danger in front of me. I never liked being in a position where the silence itself was self-consuming. I knew that what I was about to admit would totally remove me from my pack, my past life.

The decision had to be made. Life as an abandoned wolf was not easy. And the fact that only a few got a new beginning for themselves was a blessing. A part of me was happy for being blessed while the other half of me was restless. It was a feeling that I couldn't recognise. Something bad was about to happen and I could tell.

I looked around, my gaze tracing every single direction to only see pack members waiting intently for me to answer.

"Yes, I do." I finally affirmed, building up enough courage to stand tall even though deep inside I was scared. My heart was beating fast and I could tell it had something to do with James.

"You're officially now a member of the Red Blood pack," Luke announced. Cheers from the rest of the pack members erupted as I stood there emotionlessly.

"Welcome to the Red Blood pack, Alina." Beta Neil said, followed by all the members attending the announcement ceremony.

***

I stood alone in the corner watching everyone else enjoying their feast and conversing with one another. The split images of my previous pack surrounded my thoughts, stinging deep. I couldn't keep my own family together. I couldn't clear Andrew's doubt. But then at the end of the day, I couldn't help myself.

"What's wrong?" Luke asked coming up to me, holding two glasses of wine.

His sudden appearance reminded me of the order he had given out to his beta last night. I knew Neil pulled out my background details, but what I wasn't aware of was — exactly how much he could actually gather about me. Till now I couldn't sense a single bit of trickery, all there was a genuine figure trying to help.

But the main question was: why?

"Nothing," I said.

"You know you can open up and talk to me." He smiled, handing me a glass.

What was his reason behind being so nice to me? Allowing me as a pack member when I was nothing but a rogue.

"Thanks," I mumbled as my grip tightened around the glass.

"Alina, can I ask you something?" He asked with a sudden pause, "If you don't mind."

"Yeah?"

He looked at me intently, "Are your parents' white wolves?"

I raised an eyebrow, "No, Why?"

"Remember, yesterday I said you were a special breed?" Luke reminded.

"Yes?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

What is he talking about? — I asked my wolf.

Let him speak.

"You are a white wolf."

"What!?" I frowned, "Wait, what you mean is, you offered me to be a member of your pack because I am a white wolf?" I asked in disbelief.

"Oh! No, no, nothing like that." He hurriedly defended, "What I mean is white wolves were never seen after the war was over. You know what I mean, right?"

"No, I don't know what you mean." I narrowed my eyes to slits.

"Look, I didn't offer you to join my pack because you are a white wolf. I offered you because I know you are here to cause no harm. You are no harm to us." He explained. "Anyway, I got your new room ready and stacked up with clothes which you will need. That will be your permanent room from now on."

"Are you changing the topic?" I criminated looking at him.

"No, I'm not." He said, scratching the back of his neck, his cheeks tinted pink.

"Okay." I smiled, clearly amused by the looks of his uneasiness.

"Yeah, back to the topic. Your training will be from tomorrow." He informed, his lips crept up to form a smirk.

"Training?" I frowned.

"Yes, as a pack's fighter."

Meanwhile
James

I sighed and pushed the door open to see Drake standing near my bed. It was already too much to deal with when suddenly my dad appeared and made it worse. I didn't know what he was up to but what I did was unexpected. I myself didn't know when I blurted out Hailey's name as my mate. The topic about losing my position as the future Alpha was itself part of me which I didn't want to let go.

"What happened now?" Drake asked, turning his head towards me. "You look gloomy."

I walked inside, closed the door behind me and made my way towards the couch on the other side of the room.

"It was the dad and his usual talk." I groaned, "He wanted to know about my mate."

He sat on the bed ready to listen. "What did you reply?"

"I told him Hailey is my mate," I mumbled crouching forward on the couch, both my palms intertwined.

"You said what!?" He shouted.

"I couldn't help it! He called me a coward and accused me of not being able to take over." I defended.

"That doesn't mean you would go around announcing Hailey as your mate wherever you go!" He shook his head.

"I had no option." I sighed.

"You never do." He sarcastically remarked, "Anyway, I have something to tell you."

"Why do you always have to be so confusing?" I asked looking at him.

"I'm not. It's just your decisions are always... stupid and then I get all pissed and shit."

"Stupid?" I narrowed my eyes him.

"More or less, yes." He paused, "Listen, I heard Alina is nowhere to be found."

"What!? What do you mean nowhere to be found?" I rushed up from my seat.

"Yes, she went missing from her pack house. I heard they sent search teams after her." He explained, "And there is one more thing."

"And what is it?"

"The Book of Myths, the writing appeared." He said while picking the book up from the bed. He opened a page and walked towards me.

"Here look." He said handing me the opened book.

What is lost can not be gained,
Until death brings the dreadful rename.
But then the shinning light works its way
Until and unless the entire world goes down to vain.

Author's Note:

A few dreadful lines indeed.

What do you think? Comment below.

And if you like this chapter, don't forget to leave a vote behind!

Thanks! xx