Chapter Sixty-Six

Alina

I sat quietly, processing everything that Ron had said a few minutes ago. Neil, Ron and I were discussing the patterns of each attack. We talked about the various methods that were used to kill some of the members from the Dark Moon pack, and we found a lead.

"You see they were either slaughtered, burnt or strangled to death," Ron said, counting his fingers.

"That's their most common way of killing and destroying packs," I said looking at him. I had a strong urge to roll my eyes at him but I held myself back from doing so. I was able to figure that pattern out by myself.

The gore scenes that we had witnessed during our stay in the Dark Moon pack was enough to ruin my appetite. Seeing so many corpses, mostly slaughtered with their veins and blood on display, only emphasised on the extermination of us by our own kind. The abandoned wolves were the ones carrying out the orders and we were certain about that. However, we had a difficult time grasping the reason that provoked the abandoned wolves to attack and try to reassert their dominance.

"The reason, per se, wasn't substantial, yet still the abandoned wolves believed it and ambushed packs as a form of revenge," Neil stated with a blank face.

"I can not stress this enough. If we consider what that abandoned wolf had said, I forgot his name..." Ron paused.

"Lamar.." I filled in.

"Yes, yes. As much as I am aware, there were no plans to castigate the abandoned wolves—"

"Unless one of the packs secretly decided to wipe the abandoned wolves out of existence, without filling the others in on some action," Neil commented. "Seems unreal."

"Tell me about it," Ron said. "I feel like someone is trying to lead us to the Graveyard of Doom."

"Why do you say that?" I asked, confused at the sudden change of topic.

"Have you not noticed it?" Ron asked.

"What?"

"The guard that died two nights ago, his finger pointed towards the route that is linked to the Graveyard of Doom."

I raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"Yes. Hailey's finger pointed at the graveyard as well. I'm amazed at how you didn't notice it."

I gasped. "What are you talking about? We should go and check for some clues there then."

"I mean, Ron and I went there two weeks ago, remember? We didn't find anything aside from multiple footprints." Neil said and slouched back. "From the looks of it, we could tell that the fingers were intentionally bent to point that certain direction."

I recalled the day Neil and Ron went out of the pack house to take a 'stroll'. The very same day when James and I had our last conversation at the library.

"You should have told me earlier. I would have tagged along with you two and now I feel I missed out on some action." I sighed, almost feeling guilty all of a sudden.

"Oh, come on, we asked you to join us but you said you were tired so we didn't force you. We looked almost everywhere, but couldn't find anything." Neil frowned. "At least you didn't have to go around searching under the scorching heat and sunlight."

"I am not sure how I feel about that excuse."

"No excuses. So far we know that the abandoned wolves are coming after us because the shapeshifters managed to successfully instigate them. Burning down packs, personally to me, seems like a game. I reckon they tried to scare us by destroying some of our neighbouring packs." Ron stated.

"Or the abandoned wolves wanted to re-establish their dominance," Neil added.

Ron shook his head. "I don't entirely agree with you on that. The strategy and murders are just too perfect for the abandoned wolves to plot and execute."

I raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

Ron moved his hands in the air, forming some odd gestures, he said, "I doubt the ability of the abandoned wolves to create such chaos. It just seems unlike them to be able to assassinate packs and gain control. They are more of the impulsive type, not the brains. Do you get what I am saying?"

I shook my head.

Ron was technically calling our own kind dumb.

"I don't understand why you are saying that they are stupid," I said.

He chuckled. "That is because they are. They act impulsively hence most of them end up never getting accepted by a pack."

"Is there any way to give the shapeshifters what they want and put an end to this situation." I inquired.

Over the last few months, thousands of werewolves got killed. Alpha, pups, beta, guards, fighters, everyone got destroyed, killed inside their own territory. Members of the Dark Moon pack we getting killed like ripen fruits shedding from a tree, only a few at a time. No one deserved to see their own family die right in front of their eyes. We had to make this massacre come to an end.

Neil shrugged. "We don't even know what they are looking for."

"I mean there has to be a way." I urged Neil to consider my idea.

Ron looked at me for a second and sighed. "I know how sensitive you get at times, even though you are a pack fighter yourself. You have killed many abandoned wolves in the past, yet still, you get sad and worried when you see corpses lying around. It's a rather odd trait I must say."

I shook my head. "I am certain none of the victims did anything wrong, but still they got killed. They didn't deserve an unnatural death, a death so cruel.

"We don't always get what we want and life is not always fair," Neil said looking at me with cautious eyes. I could tell he had a double meaning, almost indirectly quoting James.

"Can we fight and drive them out?" I asked, ignoring his previous sentence.

Ron shook his head. "No, no. We can't. The involvement of shapeshifters is certain. If we do consider to fight and drive them out, we will only end up fighting amongst ourselves. The fact that the abandoned wolves are being used as pawns, they will be the front line warriors against us."

"So the only thing we can do is give them what they want?" Neil asked Ron. "But we don't even know what they want. I am not even certain if the shifters are involved. What if the abandoned wolves are behind this?"

"It's not possible, Beta Neil. We both found the DNA evidence at the Graveyard of Doom. The shifters are involved. We just have to ensure Alpha James and his family are safe. We will try to protect the entire pack but I can feel that this pack is in grave danger."

Neil huffed and rolled his eyes. "Protecting James is not our duty. We do not owe him anything."

I sat there quietly, trying to keep my respiration steady. I could feel my heartbeat rapidly against my ribcage, my vision nearly blacked out when I heard my wolf scream in pain.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading.

The next update will be on Friday.

Till then—
Take care and stay safe.