Chapter Forty-Two

Alina

"Fuck!?" The man standing a few feet away from him cursed, rushing towards the limp body that laid on the ground, pale and lifeless. I sniffed when suddenly a familiar scent, that too of blood reached my nostrils. Blood started oozing out of his back, drenching the black shirt he wore, trailing down leaving an imprint of redness down his white belt along with his faded blue jeans.

"This is just too much!" The man growled furiously, leaning in to inspect the bleeding back in front of him.

Alina. Neil mind linked.

Are you listening?

I think we should head back to the packhouse if you're not up for it.

Alina?

"Alina." Neil slightly nudged me with his elbow this time, "Are you listening to me?" He whispered into my ears.

I couldn't respond. I stood there helplessly looking at my mate who lied inanimately on the ground, almost dead.

"Alina?" Neil asked once again. This time with a louder voice, "Are you okay?"

"Yes." I mumbled, "I'm fine."

Waves of uncertain emotions, like an eruption of volcanic lava from where no survivors yet found, took over me. We both created problems for ourselves, problems which turned too big to even clean up, and we were both aware of it. A part of me never understood the feeling of being complete. I had everything any she-wolf would've desired for herself. A large pack, a father with the position of an Alpha, a caring elder brother and most importantly a loving family. And even before I could grasp the signs, everything fell apart. Everything I had, my fate, my luck, all shattered into pieces. Pieces so tiny that even if I tried it would take me a million years to find and place the broken pieces back together.

"Fuck!" He cursed once again, picking James up from the ground. Red blotches of blood appeared on his yellow coloured t-shirt soon after.

"He's turning pale," Neil said loudly. "We need to stop the heavy bleeding somehow or else his wolf won't be able to heal himself."

"Yeah, I can very well see that." The man rolled his eyes and started walking away from us.

"Where are you taking him?" Neil asked.

"To the pack doctor." The man replied turning his head around giving us a look of disbelief. He soon started running at his inhuman speed not allowing me the opportunity to react.

"Go." Neil ushered immediately.

"But-"

"This is the high time, make it or die. It's up to you but what I'll suggest is for you to go, not for him but for yourself - for if he dies, you'll be devastated too." He articulated.

"What about Luke?" I asked soon after, not wanting to argue about it.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it for now. It's not like I'm sending you away for forever, just for now, for your own safety." He smiled placing his palm on my shoulder giving me a squeeze of reassurance, "You'll be back even before anyone notices your absence, now go."

"Are you sure?" I asked nervously, unsure of what to do next.

"Yes, now go, hurry." He ordered giving me a gentle push towards the direction James was taken.