Chapter Twenty-Nine

Alina

Ten days.

It has been ten days now and there were still no clues about Luke's sudden take-off. Poof! He just vanished off like as if he was never there, to begin with. I didn't know how I felt about him disappearing off like that, leaving all the workload behind especially on Neil and I.

Ever since the discussion we had with Doctor Ron about the graveyard of doom and the other two shocking facts, I didn't get a chance to talk to Neil either. Neither did I even see him in the office. Everyone seemed to be disappearing off lately and it somewhat bothered me.

"Hi." Neil's voice strummed my eardrums. I looked up to see him walk inside Luke's office.

"Hey," I mumbled, looking back at the papers in front of me.

"I'm sorry for leaving all the load for you to carry. I've been a bit busy." He apologised quickly making his way towards the other side of the table.

"It's okay." I smiled.

"So you are not going to ask me why I was out of sight?" He frowned, taking a seat.

"Uh-right, I forgot." I laughed and shook my head. "I'm not Luke, you see."

"Right. You don't even care." A scowl appeared on his face as he glared at me.

It was true. I never had much curiosity inside of me, to begin with, unlike Luke, that was.

"I do care. It's just... I forgot to ask." I mumbled, "Sorry."

He laughed and got up from his seat, bent and pinched my nose from across the table.

"I was just kidding, stupid. But yeah, I have good news." He enthusiastically fisted his palm raising it up to the air. His eyes glowed vibrantly as a feeling of success crept up his face.

"Why do you seem so vibrant?" I asked.

"Soon, Neil Jr would be running around the packhouse." He exhilarated, his voice louder that time.

"Wait! What!? How?" I confounded, thrilled.

"Oh my god! Alina, I thought you knew the process." He gasped, "Like seriously? Don't tell me- you need the birds and bees talk to be reminded of it. Well, it's all due to male pen—"

"—Shut up!" I mortified, "Don't dare to continue." I was horrified by the sudden start of his description.

"But you don't know how they are produced." He shrugged helplessly and slumped back in his seat, running his hand through his hair.

"I never said I didn't." I blurted out.

"Oh-really? Alina! God! No! You're supposed to be an innocent girl." He murmured, his voice shifting from loud to a whisper as his sentence flowed to construction.

"And you being the old one giving the perverted talk." I glared back at him.

"Oh come on, I was just bringing you out of that dumb depression which seems to envelop you down every day. It affects your behaviour, you know?" He whispered, carefully. As if he was afraid of my answer.

"What are you talking about?" I frowned, "There is nothing like that."

"Do you think I'm blind?" He asked loudly as if I were deaf. "I can see what's going on. I've been trying to extricate enough information out of you to come to the conclusion about your problem, but then again, you never seem to cooperate."

"There is nothing like that," I repeated, once again.

"Tell me, you've been thinking out your decisions lately if I'm correct?" He articulated his words in a flat, monotone voice but as he spoke, he leaned forward and gazed intensely into my eyes, searching for the truth.

I frowned, clearly astounded by his observation. Indeed it was true, I was thinking about all the decisions I had made till now and surprisingly, some bother me more than they should.

"Don't lie." He whispered, "You miss him, don't you?"

"Is it that obvious?" I sighed, leaning back against the seat, "I guess, I do."

"It's inevitable." He smiled, "No matter how much you try to run, you will never be able to forget him as a whole. It's been what- more than three years now and still, you get reminded of him every day, if not at least once a week?" He paused, staring at me intently as he continued, "You need to listen to this and understand. I'm not saying you should go back to Alpha James or anything, what I'm trying to say is, no matter what, you won't be able to resist the feeling of emptiness deep within. He is your mate after all. And I'm sure he feels the same way."

"He doesn't," I snorted, "He is mated to someone else."

"Honey, I know he might act all tough and strong but I bet he misses you deep inside. But the thing is you'll never be able to completely move on, maybe one day, but before that, you need to have your wolf alive, because you know about the disappearing of rejected wolves right?" He asked, his voice softer than before. "I'm not discouraging you or mortifying you in any way. I'm just being... honest."

"Yes." I sighed, "It's been three years and I'm still good as new."

He laughed and shook his head, leaned back against the chair, closed eyes and mumbled, "You think that fake veil of strength you carry around yourself would fool me?"

"I'm not lying!" I cried, "Stop accusing me."

"You can fool Luke and everyone else around you but you can't convince me to believe that lie of yours." He groaned, "Do you think I'm a fool?"

"I didn't say such things. Your accusations all lie." I exasperated, dramatically moving my hands in the air.

"Sure." He muttered under his breath. "This never gets easier."

The silence soon engulfed us both as we sat there without uttering a single word. I didn't know what to say and went back to doing the paperwork I was working on before Neil's previous interruption.

"So now you're ignoring me." He huffed, complaining as he picked up some papers from the table.

"No, I'm not." I frowned looking up at him, "What are you even talking about?"

"Nothing." He gruffed looking away.

I sighed and tilted my head down. My gaze shifted off to Neil as he mouthed something inaudible.

I wonder how he figured it all out. My emotions were not that obvious to read. Now were they?

"Hey Alina," He said a few seconds later getting up from his seat, "I think we need to go and check down the cells."

"Why, what happened?"

"The captive abandoned she-wolf down the cell is going bonkers and out of control." He uttered, cursing under his breath, "We need to rush."

Thud! The door suddenly snapped open retrieving a rather familiar, very acquainted figure from the dark.

"Luke." I breathed.

Author's note:

Hi! I'm updating like a boss! Ik! 😎 (jk)

Anyway, if you like the chapter don't forget to leave a vote and comment behind xx. 😘