Chapter Ten

Alina

What's the point of all this? —My wolf asked.

I sighed and continued looking outside the window. I didn't know the answer to it. The feeling of anxiety and sadness running through my veins wasn't helping either. The situation was worse than I had imagined it to be. Stacy's hatred towards me would bring trouble was something I knew. But what I wasn't aware of was the fact that this entire thing would be related to the production of wolfsbane.

We must leave! —My wolf growled suddenly making me flinch.

What's wrong? — I frowned.

Leave the pack now! —She growled again without giving an explanation.

I hurriedly jumped out of the bed and headed towards the door.

Don't! Use the window instead.

I c-can not, we won't be able to land on our feet! —I panicked

Alina! Listen, calm down, something really bad is going to happen if we don't leave the pack right now.

How can we leave the pack members at risk?

It's not them who is at risk right now... Its you..us.

That was the last thing my wolf said before I found myself hurriedly leaping out of the window. I closed my eyes and felt the cold breeze roughly hitting against my skin, as the gravity pulled me down.

I opened my eyes as I landed safely on the ground, without a single bruise on my skin. I wanted to ask my wolf about the sudden change of mood when I realised she blocked me off.

Why did you block me off when I need you the most? - I sighed hoping she would respond.

But there was no reply. Not a single word to affirm me what was going on.

I wanted, no, I needed answers. All the questions running around inside my head made no sense to me. I knew something bad was ahead to come. But what I couldn't do was grasp the main idea of what was knocking at the door. The dreaded feeling of something evil was building up inside me. The rejection of a single werewolf has not been noticed in a century according to the book of myths. The signs were reflecting a meaning of itself, like a mirror, but we were too blind to look into it.

It was funny how fate was playing its own game with me. Here I was, pondering every single possibility for avoiding a dreadful situation, whereas, James, on the other hand, was most probably enjoying life with his fling. I couldn't blame him though.

The debating thought inside of whether to leave or not soon took over. The last straw of reason for me staying here back with family was nowhere to be found. That was when the realisation struck me hard, I had nothing left here. Only painful memories of my rejected mate and my brother who didn't like the thought of me being alive.

That was the point where a decision had to be made. I shook my head to clear all hazy thoughts I had inside and took steps forward towards the forest.

Meanwhile
James

"Any update yet about the book?" I asked as soon as Drake stepped inside my room.

"You know, I didn't actually go out for that," he said narrowing his eyes, "The sorcerer's aura seems life-threatening to me right now," he groaned walking inside sipping a drink from his black glass.

"All you did was serve yourself a glass of drink?" I asked in disbelief. He landed on my bed, folding his legs up and adjusted himself to a seated position. "I don't have enough energy right now to go and face the sorcerer. If you want please suit yourself," He said pointing his finger towards the door.

"Now you're throwing me out of my room?" I glared at him.

He shrugged his shoulders, clearly unaffected by my statement as he sat there with his glass resting on the bed.

I never understood his problem with the sorcerer's aura, as he claimed. I always found it absurd, every single time he complained. How could power affect his physical health along with mental every single time it came by?

"If you, by any chance, spill your drink on my sheets then I'll kill you," I growled, warning him as his grip tightened around the glass.

"I won't, I'm not a kid," he deadpanned looking at me.

"What are you drinking anyway?" I asked, confused by the sudden change of look on his face.

"Cold herbal drink I made to reduce tension." He flashed a smile and took another sip.

"How do you even know it's going to help?"

"It always had." He rolled his eyes, "Unlike you, I do my research, you know."

"You're annoying. You sometimes make me want to rip that throat of yours apart." I growled, annoyed by his statement.

"I wonder where you store so much love for me?" He sighed as an ominous smirk played on his lips.

"Dude, that's gross! I really doubt your sexuality sometimes." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Maybe that's why your mate is angry..since you're into guys.." I mocked.

"Jeez! Every single time we talk, you need to bring the mate topic up, now don't you?" He said, stretching his arm and placing the glass on the nightstand right next to the bed. "Unlike you, my mate didn't reject me," he paused, "You are really used to getting everything you want which is the main reason why you don't value things."

"Pardon?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I know this sounds unpleasant to hear but that's the truth, James, you can't really expect every single piece to fall the way you want them to. That's not how life is." He continued.

"Did you forget who I am? How dare you talk shits about your future Alpha!?" I growled.

He shook his head in response, "See! That's what I meant. Look, James, I'm not your enemy. I'm your beta and it's my job to correct you and show you the right path when you go astray."

"You don't look like you're acting as a beta." I accused.

"You think you have knowledge about everything but you know what, in reality, you know nothing. You're just hallowed deep down inside. You're not even fit to become the Alpha right now." He stated, his voice colder than before.

"I am the future Alpha! I was destined to be and I deserve every single bit of it." I roughly claimed.

"James, don't forget the real reason why you're getting this position."