Chapter Thirty-Nine

Alina

I firmly grasped the knob and pulled. A sudden click reached my ears, the drawer was locked. I have been looking for the book of myths but much to my great luck it was no
where to be found.

"What are you doing?" Neil asked walking inside the office. "Trying to steal something now are you?" He grinned playfully, "You better not."

I rolled my eyes, "I have been looking for the book of myths. It's nowhere to be found."

"I haven't seen that book myself." He stated, "Maybe it's in the drawer or something."

I shook my head, "It's not. I have checked all the drawers, aside from this particular one." I said pointing at the locked one, "It's locked and the key is nowhere to be found as well."

He frowned, "Maybe the key is somewhere on the table or even inside the penholder."
I sighed in frustration, "I looked everywhere," I said putting more emphasis, "Everywhere."

"Then I don't know." He shrugged and stood right opposite to me pulling out a chair for himself to sit on."Since when did you start reading that book anyway?" He asked.

"I had nothing better to do. Done with all the paper works." I replied pointing at the stack of completed paper works placed on the side of the table. "Luke ordered me to complete some accounts and before I could hand them over to him he disappeared." I continued. "That guy is so careless and irresponsible I tell you."

Neil laughed, "It's because of you."

I gaped, "Me? What?"

"Yes." He shook his head, "You made him lazy. Before your arrival to this pack, he was quite hard work. And ever since you joined this pack, you took almost all the duties and provided him with the opportunity to slide from all the tasks." He paused, "There are no tasks left for him anyway."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "You make me feel like some criminal."

"Oh, trust me, you are." He leaned across from his seat and poked my cheek, "You're adorable. Alpha James is lucky to have a mate like you."

I scoffed, "Mate like me? Neil!" I gasped, "We are not even together."

"Yeah, you left him." He glared.

"He did." I corrected it.

"Alina, don't take it personally but I think you shouldn't be blaming him for everything. It was not entirely his fault. Guys sometimes tend to make mistakes even though they know it's wrong. Let's just say it's the moment of angst where everything you do seems right. The mate bond you two have in between is not broken yet. If it was then you would have lost your inner wolf. Anyway, it's your life and what I can do for you is to show you the path, rest is up to you." He smiled meekly, "Just don't make mistakes which you'll repent for the rest of your life."

I sat there silently absorbing every single word he had just said.

"I don't-" I started.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, doctor Ron wanted me to send you to him. Are you secretly dating him?" He asked wriggling his eyebrows. "You two have been spending a lot of time together." He tilted his head, "Maybe the night as well." He whispered the last part rather inaudibly but unfortunately was loud enough for me to hear.

I gasped at his sudden accusation. Anger flowed through my veins, "Are you out of your mind?"

"What else can be there for the two of you to talk endlessly about?" He asked curiously.

"About Luke and his scars," I stated bitterly. Neil's accusation of me dating Ron put me off to an edge.

"Scars?" He frowned at the sudden upbringing of the topic, "Are you talking about those burnt patches?"