Chapter Thirty-One

Alina

Surprise.

The word surprise would be an understatement to describe what I was feeling right now. I was shocked, more like thrilled at Luke's sudden appearance. An appearance of a tedious man covered with bruises and blood, and most importantly the appearance of our Alpha.

I didn't know how to react. It was an unexpected appearance especially in the position he was in right now, completely wounded. His lips were busted and the skin around eyes was covered with a shade of purple. His hands and neck were scratched badly and blood was oozing out, however, what caught my attention was the patches of burnt skin he had on his arms which his t-shirt failed to cover. But still, he stood there, tall and strong, his face dark and empty, not a single emotion left for us to read.

"Luke!" Neil rushed out to him. Neil held his hand out to him and lightly placed it on top of his shoulder, a sign of assurance it was, "What happened? Are you okay?" He panicked.

My legs made its way towards Luke all by itself much less to my consent. I stood there silently looking at him.

"Yeah, man. I'm alive." He laughed awkwardly, slapping Neil's shoulder. "No need to worry."

Neil scoffed and shook his head, "Are you serious? How can you expect us not to worry? You ran off without a single word." He castigated, throwing a light fist at Luke.

Unfortunately, he was not fast enough to defend himself.

Maybe his reflex actions got slower after the injuries. Neil mind-linked.

Maybe.

"Where were you anyway, all this time?" Neil asked while helping him walk inside. I pulled a chair out and ushered Luke to take a seat.

He shook his head. "No, thank you. I'm good."

Neil raised an eyebrow and commented, "You should be more grateful you know. We were dead worried about you. Especially Alina over here. We tried to track you down but you were out of reach."

"I'm sorry man." He sighed, "I should have informed you before but I didn't get the chance to. It all happened in the flash of an eye, I was left speechless." He paused and scratched his neck.

"What happened? Can you just be straight forward for a second and tell us what exactly happened?" I snapped. Neil had already asked him the same question twice but instead of replying he was avoiding the point, creating more suspense and I was not liking it at all.

"Alina, come on, don't be mean." He groaned. "But yeah, we need to increase up our security. I was checking the borders and came across a rogue. He was trying to sneak inside our pack but luckily for us, I killed the rogue before he got the chance to make a move."

Neil frowned, "Alright, but where were you all these days? I bet it certainly wouldn't take you ten days to kill a single rogue." He narrowed his eyes at Luke.

"Hah, true." Luke laughed, "And it didn't! I was out for some research about the burnt packs and all." He stated slowly, "Man, let's just hope and pray that we are not their next target."

"Yeah. Hey, wait, what were you doing near the borders?" Neil criminated, "As much as I remember after the female rogue invaded our pack territory, I made sure that all the paths were blocked off. And it was unnecessary for you to go and check since you were there when I was making sure all the unauthorized paths were blocked off."

"Yes. But I was just there to check whether the orders were being implemented properly or not. Luckily, I came across the male rogue, or else he would have caused chaos all around if he managed to invade the territory." Luke reasoned. "I missed being home." He sighed.