Chapter Sixty

Alina

Jace and I looked at each other with alarmed expressions on our faces as we stood outside a small house. The windows were covered with metal sheets instead of regular glasses. It was impossible for any werewolf to break through the metal-clad casement. It was odd to see such a placement. Every pack ensured the use of slide windows made of glass, if not then they would prefer to use no coverings at all. It mainly was used to make it easier for us to jump out using the windows, if necessary.

"Seems like a trap." Jace pointed out.
The metal sheet was firmly screwed with the hinges making it impossible for any werewolf to breakthrough.

The house was somewhat burnt and was still emitting smoke into the air. It looked like someone had recently extinguished the fire. We also noticed that the wooden front door was broken.

We heard James howl and soon rushed our way towards the back of the house, trailing his sound.

The stench of blood got worse as we got behind the house. The gore scene in front of us made Jace and I stood in our tracks, petrified.

We saw James sitting on the ground. He had Drake laid out with his head resting on his lap. Drake was shot near his heart, with a silver bullet. Next to Drake laid Hailey. She had a thick silver shackle knotted around her neck. Her brunette hair was somewhat burnt.

That sight made my stomach churn.

I felt nauseous.

I could feel the pain James was feeling. My heart felt heavy as tears threatened to roll down my cheeks.

Jace rushed up to Hailey and checked her pulse. He looked up at me and dropped her wrist back on the ground, slowly shaking his head.

Her body is cold. — Jace mind-linked.

His face dropped a shade of colour as the realisation struck us both.

She is dead.

He pointed at another silver shackle tied around her ankle.

She was tied up. — He said, crouching next to her.

I flinched at the thought of the sufferings she had to go through. Her hair was set on fire, half of it burnt to ashes. She was strangled to death.

"Please Drake, don't die on me!" James cried out.

Ron, Drake got shot. It's a silver bullet. Please hurry. —I mind linked him along with Neil, asking them to trail the stench of smoke and blood.

Wait what!? — Neil shouted through the mind-link.

Yes. Please get here as soon as possible.

Are you alright, Alina? — Neil asked, concerned, putting me first as usual.

I'm fine. Drake needs Ron right now. — I panicked.

We'll be right there.

"I -I am sorry." Drake murmured. Blood profusely oozed out from his body. The purple shirt he was wearing was completely drenched in blood. The sight in front of me reminded me of James, shot, at the Graveyard of Doom.

"What happened here? How did you get yourself shot and what happened to Hailey?" Jace asked.

Drake groaned in pain, trying to sit up. James held his head on his lap and rubbed his hair.

"I am so—sorry," Drake said meekly.

"How did it all happen?" James asked, tears falling down his cheeks. I could see the panic in his eyes, the fear of losing his best friend.

"I found her captured in this house with silver shackles. The doors were locked and someone set the house—" He faltered. "—on fire. I tried to save her but I couldn't."

Drake intently stared at James. His lips trembled as tears threatened to fall from his eyes.

"I saw them strangle her to death. She looked so scared. They shot me as soon as I rescued her from the locked house."

"You are going to be fine," James assured his Beta, running his fingers through his hair. "I won't let anything happen to you. We couldn't save Hailey, but I won't let anything happen to you."

James noticed our presence and shouted. "Jace, call the pack healer."

Jace nodded and said he had already called for help.

"I know I won't survive," Drake said quietly. "I need to tell you some things."

"No. Don't talk. Everything is going to be fine. The more you talk, the more you lose blood. Just stay quiet." James hushed.

" —I can't. I have seen abandoned wolves inside the pack territory. One of them shot me. They trapped Hailey there. I saw them strangle her to death. I couldn't do anything."

Drake spoke using short sentences. His respiration got heavier as he tried to speak more.

"There were about three of them, all males. I was concerned when I couldn't find Hailey in her room. I started to look for her and found her in that house. The house was on fire and I was able to get her out of it alive. They shot me soon after. Strangled Hailey right in front of my eyes. They said they found what they were looking for in this pack and were soon going to claim it."

The look in his eyes made me shiver.

"Calm down, Drake. We need you to stay still." James ordered him.

Drake smiled, "You really do care about me. I thought my mixed wolf and warlock genes would allow me to keep you safe, forever. I was wrong."

James gasped. "You have warlock genes?"

Drake slightly nodded. "My mother was a witch. That's why she left my father and I when we decided to join the Dark Moon pack."

James sat quietly, looking at his Beta. The look James had on his face made my heart clench in pain. His eyes were red and puffy.

Ron, where are you? — I asked through the mind-link.

On our way. He soon responded.

"I feel I have betrayed you." Drake started after a pause. "I couldn't be a good Beta."

"You are fine. You have been the best Beta I could have asked for. I can't lose you." James sobbed. His teardrops fell on Drake's face.

"I have something else to tell you—"

"-I know what you want to say. We will trace those shapeshifters and burn them alive along with all the abandoned wolves who have attacked our pack so far. I will never let them get away for hurting my two most precious—"

"I found my mate." Drake quietly added.

James gasped at Drake.

"I don't understand how I never sensed her before. She was always around me. My wolf was unable to detect her but somehow he was able to sense her today." Drake wailed.

I could feel my heart pace a hundred times faster than it had a few minutes ago.

"It's Hailey." Drake closed his eyes and exhaled, leaving all of us appalled.

Author's Note:

Aaaaaah, twist. 😮 I've been trying to construct this book to keep you on the edge while reading.

Let me know what you think about this chapter.

Please vote if you like it.

Next update: Monday

Till then-
Take care and stay safe.