𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.

CHAPTER FIVE:

"You know... This is the first piece of clothing I've ever bought for myself." I look over Yelena next to me as I drive, referencing the vest she was wearing.

"That?" Nat asks from behind.

"Yeah... You don't like it?" She asks her.

"Is that like a... is it like army surplus or..."

"Okay, it has a lot of pockets." The girl defends herself and I smile at the current topic of conversation in the car. I hear Nat chuckle in the back. "But, I use them all the time, and I made some of my own modifications." 

"Oh, yeah?" She laughs.

"Whatever. Shut up." The girl acts like it isn't a big thing. "The point is, I've never- I've never had control over my own life before, and now I do. I want to do things." 

There's a little silence between all of us. "I like your vest." Nat says. "What about you, eh?" Nat hits my arm lightly.

"I like it." I say, glancing at it for a second, trying to not smirk too much.

"I knew it!" She says excitedly in her seat. "I knew you did! It's so cool, right?"

"It's good." Nat says. "I like it." 

"And you can put so much stuff in there. You wouldn't even know." She continues excitedly. I smile again at the girl's excitement. "I really don't know where the Red Room is, though. I'm sorry." She says turning to the two of us.

"I know." Nat says. "But I think I know somebody who does."

"Oh, yeah?" I ask. "Who?"

"We're gonna need a jet." She replies.

"That doesn't answer the question." I point out, looking at her through the mirror.

"Shut up and drive, I need to make a call." 

"I said we needed a jet." Nat says as we walk towards the vehicle. Mason didn't seem to happy to hear what she'd said. Or the fact there was three of us.

"Yeah, you know what you didn't give me?" He asks. "Time. Or money." He starts and I roll my eyes. "I'm not made of jets." 

"My god, you are a twelve year old." I mutter as I get a look inside of the helicopter. 

"I thought you were supposed to be the best. Like a real pro." Yelena says.

"Oh, I beg your pardon, tsarina, was the free flat and lifetime supply of kissel not to your liking?" He snaps back to her.

"Ha!" 

"Don't let her wind you up." Nat tells him as I sit down on the edge of the door.

"No, I take exception to impugning my professionalism." He begins.

"Well, you set us up with a generator that decided it was better to not work after six hours." I point out.

He scoffs and looks behind at me. "You too, huh? Tag team?" He says, pointing at me and Yelena.

"Aw, he's sensitive." Yelena calls. "See why you keep him around." I see her blow on the helicopter's window, drawing on the fog cloud before it fades away.

"Where's the rest?" Nat asks him. He sighs and picks up a bag before putting it back down in front of Nat. Yelena walks back and opens it up, seeing a candy bar and opening that up also. "Oh, I stashed that, like, five years ago." Yelena takes a bite anyways. "How is it?" 

The girl pulls a face at it and picks up two suits from the bag. "It's dry. It's really dry." She chucks me a suit before walking into the helicopter and taking a look herself. I see her open a window and drop the old candy bar out before shutting it. "Why are you still around here? With us?" She asks as I sit down on the side.

"Something about- politeness." I say, tilting my head at her.

"Not that." She says. "It's not something I'd think the Red Dragon would do." 

I smirk at the use of the public name that is used for me. "It's not that I have some deep dark back story to it all. I met Nat through S.H.I.E.L.D and we were the top of the list for Fury. We, with Clint, became Avengers. It's when you're alone in a room with Bruce Banner and Tony Stark that it's not going to end well." I take out one of the swords and retract it. It glimmers in the light a little. "It's connected to my blood. If I throw it, eventually, it'll return back to me. I guess with the two of them in a room, bored, I should've seen it coming." I shrug and retract it again, putting it away.

"Do you ever think that you could've lived a different life?" She asks, her voice is almost down to a whisper.

"All the time." I say to the girl. "I don't want to be known to be the one of the Avengers who fought against the law and ran away after I did it. If I had it my way, I'd be living in that farm in Ukraine, right now." 

"With a dog?" She asks, I raise an eyebrow at her question.

"With a dog." I agree.

"Well, if you two are done, we should get going." Nat says, suddenly stood in the doorway. I roll my eyes and she closes the door rather loudly.

"I'm sorry? Is me getting to know the others present too much for you to handle?" I ask her as the two sisters sit down in the front seats. I grab a pair of headphones and put them over my ears as the helicopter starts to take off. "Perhaps you'd like to sit down and talk about it?"

"What are you a therapist?" Yelena asks me. Nat chuckles through the headsets.

"Oh, feel lucky you're driving this helicopter, Yelena. Otherwise you'd be outside of this around about now." I tell her.

"That's a two thousand feet drop-" Nat says.

"Is that a challenge?" She asks, looking back at me. I cock my eyebrow at her.

"Okay, if you two are done, with the bonding moments and lowkey flirting, can we get going? We've got an annoying Russian to break out of jail." Nat cuts in at the two of us. I look away and out the window.

"Shut up." Yelena tells the other girl, turning back and away from me.