𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

CHAPTER NINE:

I open my eyes and close them again, a bright, powerful light makes it more difficult for my eyes to focus. When I open them again, I try to block the light with a spare hand but when I do, nothing happens. Looking down I see both of my arms and legs strapped down against whatever I was laying on. 

"Good morning." I hear a Russian voice mutter.

"You don't seem to pleased to be around me." I say to the girl as I look over at her.

"Where's those flying swords of yours when we need them?" She asks me.

"I would let them, but the chances are someone else will catch them." I say. 

"Well, I'm glad you've got a plan." She mutters again.

"Okay, got any other ideas?" I ask, trying to look on the bright side.

"Well, I don't have my weapons, and neither do you. We're strapped onto tables and are probably about to die." She says. 

"Common denominator: defenceless." I finish. Men walk in with lab coats before walking around to the two of us.

"This is a much less cool way to die." She mutters as one of them begin to draw an outline on her face with a black pen. We lay there in silence for a few minutes, accepting our fate when Yelena suddenly blurts out one word. "What?"

"I- I didn't say anything." I say, I can see the lab workers look over at us like we're aliens for not speaking in their own language.

"Shut up, idiot." She tells me. I roll my eyes and look back over at her. She suddenly rips out of the restrains, slicing at the others in the room. "You could've told me sooner?" She says out loud.

"Any help over here?" I ask. "You know- I'm still laying here." She rolls her eyes and slices at the straps on the side before walking to a table, picking up her own vest. I get off the table rather quickly and I feel a slight stab in my shoulder. I look over at the lab worker and the syringe in my shoulder. A knife suddenly flies into their chest and I pull the syringe out as I look over at Yelena. "Now what?"

"Melina says the vials are most likely down to cold storage." She says, we start to walk out of the lab as we talk.

"Right.. Should be simple." I say. "Where's that?" I ask.

"No idea, yet." She says, after a moment the girl stops and nods over at a ventilation system opening. 

"You really can't be serious." I say to her. 

"Where's your swords, huh?" She ask. I see a smirk grow on her face and I raise an eyebrow at her before I lift my hand out to the side. A slight crash can be heard from around a corner before both swords fly into my hands.

"Happy, now?" I ask her as I put one on my belt. 

"Don't suppose you've got a screwdriver on that belt?" She asks, stepping forward a little.

I take a glance, being the dumb bitch I am, before looking back up. "Uh- no." 

"I guess I'll have to do this while I can then-" She says, before I can even question what she means, she puts a hand on my cheek and crashes her lips on mine. Yelena was right. I was lonely, and I had been most of my life. Hell, Nat was the closest person I had and even she didn't know how to socialise too well. She wrapped her arms around me and kissed me with the same, lonely, desperation that I'd given her in the kiss. 

She pulls away slowly and I see a smile creep onto her face. Had that actually just happened? "We'll have to talk about that later." She tells me. I nod, barely even able to speak after it. She turns away and kicks the vent open, climbing inside. I watch for a moment and she turns towards me. "What're you doing? Come on." 

She looks down at the passing Red Room guards. 

"Some help?" She asks. I sigh and take out a knife, breaking down the vent and jumping down silently. I walk down the hallway by the wall and glance around, making sure the coast was clear. She jumps down and I nearly die of laughter the way she does so: the exact same way and manor she'd teased Natasha about. The look forward, the leaning down- everything was the exact same.  After a second of she stands up straight, shudders and moves to the side next to me, muttering, "That was disgusting."

"Funny." I correct the girl.

"Remind me why I kissed you again?" She says, I roll my eyes and peer around the corner, then back at her. "What're you scared?"

"You're better at the whole- not killing people thing." I whisper to her. She shakes her head in disbelief and passes me, picking up the pace as she turns the corner. I turn also and see her take out the guard with barely any hesitation. I watch her struggle to scan the guard's hand and she looks over at me after giving up.

"You're much stronger." She claims.

"I'm sorry? Say that again?" I smirk over at her.

"Oh, I want to take it back-" She begins as I walk over. "I just meant- you've had a lot of training-" I pick up the guard's body without being too bothered, scanning their hand on the sensor. The door opens and I drop their body rather loudly.

"No take-backs." I tell her as we walk through the door. It was storage alright. Freezers and racks of different things were all over the place. Different guns, bombs and chemicals are put all over the place. We walk around a little and she stops me from walking any further, hand on my chest. I look over and see her nod over at a freezing container. The red vials sat there, pride and centre. 

"Melina, we found the location of the vials." Yelena says to her through earpiece. A moment of silence as I take the vials out of the freezer. She turns to me. "Great news- we're going to find the widows." 

"Great news." I mutter as we start to walk. We leave storage and the light of the corridor is red, flashing. "That probably doesn't mean anything good, right?" 

"Fantastic..." Yelena mutters. We take a right and start to walk. "We're heading to the widows now." I presume she's speaking to Melina so I keep my mouth shut on the way she spoke so openly. I see an elevator at the end of the corridor and I suppose that's where the widows were meant to  be. We walk down and we're halfway there when she stops me, hand grabbing mine. I look over and see her open a door to our right. A training room, black and red all over the place. Yelena looks around, unable to even speak much. "No... They're meant to be here." 

"Got any ideas, or is it my turn to be smart?" I ask her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asks. I take her hand and run out the room.