𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲.

CHAPTER TWENTY:

NEW JERSEY

1970

"Clearly, you weren't actually born here, right?" Tony asks as we walk. I had the darkest pair of sunglasses I'd ever seen on, along with the same with Steve was wearing. Not suspicious at all. 

"The idea of me was." He sighs.

"Right. Air, pop quiz, imagine you're S.H.I.E.L.D, running a quasi-fascistic intelligence organization. Where do you hide it?" Tony asks me.

"How about in plain sight?" Steve asks, nodding over to the bunker. 

Clever bastard

We step into the lift with another and I breathe out heavily, glancing down again at the ring on my finger. I see Stark step forward, blocking the woman's view of Steve, making me raise an eyebrow at how obvious that made us look. The elevator grounds to a halt for Tony to get out.

"Good luck on your mission, Captain." Tony says to him. I roll my eyes as I look down at the floor. Suspicious much

"Good luck on your- project, doctor." Steve says in response. The elevator closes up again and continues going down.

"You're new here?" She suddenly asks, I glance over and stay quiet.

"Not exactly." Steve says, then glancing to me. "Just showing him the ropes." The elevator opens again and we get out before it gets even more awkward than it already was. 

"How are we gonna get Pym out of there?" I ask him quietly as we walk down the corridor, trying to not look obvious, of which was hard to do with Captain America. 

"I have a plan." 

"Hello, Dr. Pym?" I ask through the phone, sending Steve a death glare as I spoke. 

"That would be the number you called. Yes." I hear a voice say, slightly annoyed. 

"This is Captain- Belova. From shipping..." I say, choosing my words carefully. "We have a package for you." 

"Bring it up." He says, like it wasn't obvious.

"Well, that's thing sir." I say. "We can't." 

"I'm confused, I thought that was your job." 

"Yes, well, me too sir. It's just- the box is glowing, and to be honest, some of our mail guys aren't feeling that great-" 

"They didn't open it, did they?" He asks, panic in his voice.

"Yeah... they did." He hangs up before I can even finish and the door not even ten feet away from me opens up, the doctor running down the corridor as I put the phone down. "I hate you." I murmur next to Steve as we walk into the lab. We look around for the Pym Particles, finding ant farms and piles of paperwork. I hit him on the arm when I see the particles and when he looks I nod over at them. "There's the ticket home." 

We walk down the corridor, trying to not look as suspicious as we looked. I glance up ahead again for a moment and my eyes go wide.

"That damn woman." I mutter. The woman from the lift had got security with her, and it didn't take a genius to work out what form.

"And you've never seen these three men before?" One of the security officers asked.

"No, I've got an eye for this. The three of them together looked fishy." She tells him.

"Can you describe them?"

"Well, one of them had a hippie beard." I nearly laugh as Steve goes to pull me into a room.

"Hippie? like Bee Gees or Mungo Jerry?" 

"Definitely Mungo Jerry-" He closes the door before I can hear the rest and I turn to him.

"Definitely Mungo Jerry." I say in agreement. He rolls his eyes at me as I glance around the office we're in. "Is that you?" I ask quietly, picking up the photo off the desk. "Woah- I didn't actually think you'd be skinny before the serum-" He takes it off of me and then glances at the name on the door. "What?" I ask, seeing the face he had. The door of the other side of the office opens up and we see a woman walk through. A part of me told me to recognise her but I didn't know where from. He watches her and I look up at him for a moment seeing there was now disbelief on his face. I turn back to the window. "Why do I recognise her?" I ask him down to a whisper.

He takes out the compass and hands it to me, still not saying anything or looking away from the woman. It was the same woman from all those years ago when we'd come to the bunker, finding Zola's algorithm. Margret Carter. I smile over at him and hand back the compass. 

We land on the Quantum Platform and look around, seeing if we got all the stones. 

"Did we get them all?" I hear Bruce ask, I look around quickly and do a headcount silently. Something wasn't right.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey asks. I notice first and I look down at the floor and sigh. 

"Clint, 'Lena, where's Nat?" Bruce asks. I look up at Yelena opposite me and I see tears in her eyes. She was crying and so was Clint. I think that told us everything we needed to know. 

I knock on the door silently and wait.

"Go away." Yelena says. I sigh and open the door anyways, walking inside I see Yelena sat at the end of Nat's bed. She held a glass bottle of beer and was staring at the wall. Closing the door silently, I stand there quietly for a moment. "It was my fault." She says, still not looking over at me as I lean up against the wall. "If I was just a little quicker-"

"Then I wouldn't have you." I cut her off.

"Who's going to lead the Avengers once this is over? She was there when the others were away-" She begins, turning to me with tears streaking down her cheeks.

"It's not going to be like that anymore." I say, stepping forward, she takes another sip of her beer and looks ahead at the wall "Half of the Universe is about to re-appear..." I pause for a moment. "And maybe I'm ready to come back to the West." She looks over at me. "If anyone is to take over the Avengers after Natasha, I'm not doing it alone, anyways." I say.

"ya nemnogo pian dla etogo." I'm a bit drunk for that. Yelena murmurs, looking down at the floor. I sit down next to her and sigh.

"We all have our off days." I say quietly. The shutters of the door suddenly start shutting, and we glance over for a moment. "They're doing it now."

"Don't you think we should be down there?" She asks.

"You're too drunk for that." I smirk, she hits me on the arm playfully with her fist as I say it.

"There was rules to getting the stone." Yelena says, making me look over at her. "A soul for a soul. I set off a detonator to take out Barton straight away, Natasha kept holding me back and we ended up on the side of the cliff- hanging by one wire she'd attached to me." She leans her head on my shoulder and I kiss the top of it gently. 

"We'll have a funeral in Ohio." I whisper. "It'll be a beautiful area, around a forest which'll look amazing in fall." I say, tears in my own eyes. She looks up at me and nods, going to say something but I don't get to hear it. 

It all goes black, with explosions heard in the background.

Oh fuck you, Thanos