The Speakers

The Speakers traveled in a small caravan pulled by Vanner horses and flanked by riders. The Elder Speaker took me to his encampment, and after a few awkward introductions, set me up in the car with five others , all women. They didn't treat me poorly beside the guarded looks and eventually warmed up to me when they realized I had no ulterior motives. They told me they were keepers of story and tradition of all Wallachia, and they could wield elemental magic.

I looked out from my cart, watching the hills and trees pass by feeling the rumble of the wheels beneath my bare feet until I was tired enough to lay down. I didn't sleep much, the movement of the cart kept me awake, but at least I felt safe and could close my eyes, listening the birds in the trees and the stirring breaths of the women sleeping huddled around me. There is truth about safety in numbers, I felt protected here, shielded from the night creatures prowling the night by a caravan of magic wielders and a sacred ward that kept them at bay.

That night I dreamt of the castle again, shrouded in the darkened shadows of thunderclouds. A voice cries out, urging me to hurry on and get to the castle as fast as I can. I run as my bare feet crunch beneath the earth, pulled towards the castle by a deep instinct and the voice's cry. Find him! Find Adrian!

I woke up grumbling and rubbing the scars on my back which started to sting.

"Welcome to the land of the living." An accented voice remarked, a Speaker named Vivian. "I've never seen anyone sleep so troubled."

 "Sorry." I mumbled, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "I was dreaming."

 "That's apparent." Vivian laughed goodhearted. "Come, there is food and good drink." I sat with the rest of the Speakers as they rested outside for the morning before hitting the road. I felt in normal circumstances, they'd converse freely and openly among themselves, but with a stranger in their midst, their conversation was subdued.

"If you are nomads, that means you don't have a home?" I asked, wanting to start an innocent conversation. 

The Speakers murmured to one another but it was Vivian who answered, gently putting her hand on my shoulder. "Our home is with each other. We travel the world learning and sharing knowledge, passing down our stories and traditions to the next generation."

"I guess that makes you family then." I said. 

"Yes." The Elder smiled. "You could very well say that indeed." 

"I wish I had a family." I sighed wistfully. "Maybe I do and I don't remember who they are."

 "Perhaps you are destined to find one in this world." The Elder said optimistically.

"I hope so, wouldn't that be nice." I had to ask it. "Have you ever lost family members?"

"Yes." The Elder answered in a melancholy tone. "Many to disease and injury. In the more recent month, most of our brothers and sisters have fallen to Night Creature attacks. Unfortunately those who we sacrifice ourselves to protect curse us and turn their backs when we are in need. Most think were are the Devil's servants and enemies of God. I certainly believe the latter. I fear for our very survival."

"I sadly understand that." I sympathized. "Humans are jerks." I looked around at the Speakers. "But luckily there are good ones out there." I caught a few smiles among them. "I've lost people too, but that's not what I meant." I looked him in the eye. "Did you ever actually lose someone of your clan, not that someone died, but actually got lost or separated?"