Targoviste

In hindsight I should've heeded the Angel of Death's advice and headed to the city first, but in that moment of time I was too desperate to save Alucard's life. I wasn't fully trusting of her either,  I believed she meant it when warned she'd return in three days to collect his soul, but I also feared she had other intentions. She's the grim reaper after all, who's to say she's not trying to lead me astray by having me travel into town in the opposite direction?

Nothing good ever happened in Targoviste.

My skin prickled beneath my cloak as I sensed the presence of magic the closer I walked towards the fortress, before I heard them aiming their attacks from the cover of the forest. "I'm not your enemy." I armed my glowing staff  and summoned a fireball in my left hand. "I came to you for help!" The magicians lowered their spells and their leader approached threateningly from the cover.  "Who are you?"

"Just a fellow magician." I stood firm and tall, despite being scared to the bone. The magicians were robed in blood orange cloaks emblazed with a gold runic symbol on their chests. Something struck familiar about the symbol, but I was too focused on not getting myself hexed . Their leader glared fiercely. "How did you come to learn magic?  You are not of our clan."

"I learned it myself, self taught." I responded. "Are you gonna lower your wards, honest to God I'm not your enemy."

"You wield Speaker magic!" Barked on of the guards.

"Well the books I learned from contained Speakers spells, otherwise I'm not affiliated with them." That was a lie, but my gut warned not to reveal the truth. My staff glowed with a low thrumming in my hands. The head guard glanced at his magicians and nodded. "Come along." I followed the surrounding guards to a great fortress, armed with sentries and jagged spires. The place felt lousy with magic. I held my staff firmly as the ominous iron gate opened, feeling like a prisoner entering a dungeon.

You're doing this for Alucard.   I kept repeating to myself.  For Alucard.

I wasn't lead into the fortress, rather a small barrack in the inner courtyard. Orange robed Whisperers practiced their magic, stopping momentarily to watch me with sour eyes. A young girl watched in fascination before being rapped in the shoulder  by her instructor. "Pay attention." 

Definitely not Speakers, I kept my staff close, not letting it go even when asked to take a seat. What I presumed to be the Elder took her seat in front of me, an icy eyed woman in her sixties with black scars marring her face and an amulet at her chest with the symbol of an angel.

"You're a brave one to venture to our stronghold so boldly." She commented in a leathery voice. "I'm Alethia, the head of the Targovistan Whisperer hold. Why have you come seeking us, young warlock?"

I took a deep breath and spoke calmly. "My friend is dying." I explained. "He was attacked by  a Plaguemaster while protecting me. We were able to destroy it, but the monster bit him before it was killed.  I was told  the Whisperers of Targoviste had the only antidote that could save him. Please, you have to help me. He has done everything for me and I can't let him die. I love him. I love him and he doesn't  realize  I do."

The Whisperers cast their eyes on me intrigued, but it was Alethia who spoke. "Such a powerful force, love. I am sorry young warlock, your friend is as good as dead. A Plaguemaster's bite is always fatal and there is no antidote. I'd return home and spend your remaining time with him. He deserves to know your love for him before he dies."

"There is an antidote,  or at least an ingredient to create one." I persisted. "You have  Panacea dust, with that I can create a cure, it's the only hope I have of saving his life."