Dreamscape

I lay low for the next several days while allowing my injuries to mend. Resigning myself within the castle grounds and bordering woodlands, I kept  busy. Tending to the herbal garden, studying in the laboratory, and collecting samples from the outside to observe under the microscope. It wasn't the same as going out into the land deterring night creatures, where I felt I was doing something that did good in the world, even a little, but at least it kept my mind sharp and my thoughts occupied.

My tasks merely abated the stirrings within me. In mind and body I yearned to wander and go out there, to do something about the world at hand without being confined to the proximity of our home. Out there demons slaughter innocents and vampires feast on the defenseless. Thank my Boss we are safe, but the same can't be said for the world beyond our castle walls. What of our friends? How are they faring?  Have they found the Divine Blade yet? Or a they dealing with troubles in Targoviste?  I clutched my fist to my heart. The blood of my son is out there fighting battles I should be fighting alongside him. He is the only family I have left in this world, save for the one who warms my bed and soothes my  soul.

I powerwalked through the halls trying to shake away the persistent gnawing at my side.

"My dear, let's walk along the stream." Alucard suggested. No doubt he heard my hastened footsteps.  Alucard kept close to me, more so than usual during this time. He checked on me more periodically while inside the library or laboratory, assisting with my tasks. I didn't notice it much inside, I always welcomed his company especially if he was helping, but outside was another story. Whenever I stepped outside the castle walls he clung to me like a wolf protecting his mate, hackles raised and sword tucked in its sheath concealed by his coat. As if an assassin were to jump out from the shadows at any moment and ambush us. He was clingy while I grew restless. He wanted to protect me from the world around me but could not ease the gnawing.

I took his hand and we strolled together through the serene woods and along the bubbling stream to our favorite patch of grass beneath the tree where we enjoyed the romantic picnic with each other.  Alucard lay  in the middle of the sun-patched clearing. His  chest rising and falling steadily, and his eyes closed in bliss.

"Lay with me, dear." He spoke in a soft tone. "The sun feels quite nice." I nodded and lay down next to him, taking his hand as I closed my eyes, listening to the bubbling stream below us. So peaceful. I'm blessed to be in this pristine and safe place. With him. I'll never take this for granted.

"You have a thing against shirts?" I remarked, letting the sun kiss my skin. "Because I see you without one more often than not." 

"I prefer not to have fabric constantly touching my scars." Alucard responded. "It feels less restrictive, but if it makes you more comfortable I can wear a loose shift throughout the castle from now on."

"No." I said firmly. "Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I was just making an observation." I smirked, my face warm not from the sun. "Believe me, I don't mind."

"I see." Alucard chuckled. I heard him shift and my glyphs prickled at the touch of his fingers. "You worry me." I opened my eyes and found him on his side. I turned and faced him. "How so?" "The way you walk about the castle is like a tiger in a cage. You're so focused on your work in the laboratory and your books, more than usual. Is something bothering you? You seem-."

"Restless." I answered. "You read me like an open book. Yes, I've an itch in me that not from the sutures. I feel like I should be doing more. We're safe here and we've lived in relative peace, but the rest of Wallachia isn't so lucky."
I gulped. "When I surveyed the forest, casting wards and making allies with the woodland spirits, it felt like I was doing something. That my efforts were helping the people in this land even if not directly. Now I feel..."