Zaharial

They couldn't even get near Alucard as he held his beloved, consumed by rage and grief.

Trevor and Sypha followed him to the cellar, barely catching up to him as he flew through the halls . The door was bashed open and they bore their weapons preparing for an onslaught of night creatures and vampires, only to find dozens of their corpses scattered across the grounds, scorched or sliced open by the mage's prowess. Sypha tensed with electricity coursing between her fingers, and Trevor gripped the Morningstar.

They found the lower cellar littered with vampire corpses and half the ceiling collapsed in, permanently blocking the hidden passage to the outside woods. In the center of it all Alucard cradled his guardian angel in his arms, sobbing into her.

"Shit." Trevor hissed with a heavy weight in his heart. Sypha gasped covering her mouth with glistening tears in her eyes.  The two steadily approached him. Trevor saw the blood dripping from her glyphs and the floor around her dark from the stab wound in her belly. She didn't go down without a fight, and she took her enemies with her.  Fearless and unyielding. Like the Belmonts  she bred.

  "Leave me." Alucard warned in a low, ragged voice.

"Alucard." Trevor stepped forward, lowering his guard.  Alucard lashed at him still holding her corpse. "Leave me!" His eyes glowed yellow and he snarled like a vampire.

"We're not leaving you!" Trevor backed away, instinctively gripping the hilt of his cross-knife but kept it closed. "It wasn't your fault, she knew what she was doing. She gave her life to save those innocent refugees. Honor her memory by stopping the bastard who caused all this."

"It does not matter." He growled deadened lowering his head to her body. "Nothing matters. She's gone...." His chest shuddered. "She's gone."

"It does."  Sypha approached cautiously. Her eyes filled with sympathy. " We can still stop him, and protect the survivors remaining. She would have wanted us to do so."

"I don't care." He snarled. "Let them all die. It doesn't matter anymore. Nothing in this world matters now she is gone. She was the only thing worth living for, the only light in this dark pitiful existence. The only reason why I stuck my hand out and helped those meek humans, and because of them, she is gone!"

"Alucard you can't give into despair, she wouldn't have wanted that!" Sypha cried. "Please! We need your help! This is your home!"

"Go!" Alucard bellowed wreathed in flames and eyes glowing red while clutching his beloved to his broken heart. The flames left her body unmarked and unburned. "I don't care! Let everything burn! Let the castle fall and let them all die! They weren't worth her life! Let them die and leave me with her!! Leave now or I'll kill you!"

"Stop this!" Sypha summoned her ice and Trevor brandished his whip.

"This isn't you, Alucard!" Trevor said desperately. "Don't be like him!"

A guttural growl rumbled deep within Alucard's chest and his form changed into a vampiric wraith. Smokey grey with great batlike wings and terrible claws. He'd kill them if they didn't leave him to his all consuming despair. "Snap out of this!" Trevor bellowed, not wanting to attack his friend.

"Trevor we have to go!" Sypha shook his shoulder when the castle tremored. The ritual was nearing completion despite the lives saved. Alucard bared his teeth, snarling. The glyphs on the angel's mortal body glowed brightly, and a low humming emanated in the surrounding air.

Trevor and Sypha held each other close, sensing an electric tension in the room. An otherworldly light poured into the dark cellar and all eyes cast in awe at the body in Alucard's arms. The angel's husk shone like a star in cosmos, and with a sharp gust, the light poured into her mouth. Her chest heaved a mighty breath of life.