Refuge

*Edited 12/20/22 to add an extra fight scene*

It was a long walk home.

I knew it would be. Danesti lay  twenty miles from Dracula's castle, through dark twisted woods laden in shadow.

We followed a small and scant trail winding through the gargantuan trees. The only light guiding our path were the humans' torches and  the silver gleam of the full moon. I rode the unicorn up and down the  length of the refugee band, making sure everyone was all right and accounted for.  They all said they were fine, and spoke nothing else. 
In a different scenario without the threat of a vampiric army and who knows what else prowling in the shadows (certainly during the daytime!) I would've lightened the mood,  striking up conversation  telling them the amazing things awaiting them in Dracula's castle. The gardens, the library, the observatory, everything I wanted to share in my home, but this wasn't the time, and we needed to be quiet lest we draw attention.

My  senses tuned the surroundings, alert for any sign of movement through the trees or glowing eyes peering from the darkness. Everything in my instincts warned we shouldn't be out here at night, especially with the full moon shining above the bare branches.

I didn't let my unease go silent. I disputed  with Alucard earlier, insisting we should wait until daytime to move everyone. "We'd been expected to move during daylight.  You know that night creatures operate perfectly well in sunshine." Alucard refused.

"We're not only dealing with night creatures." I countered. "Vampires can't work during daylight."

LTrue, but these night creatures are being instructed, these attacks are too targeted.  No, we must make haste if we want everyone safe." Alucard responded, never raising his voice.

I retorted we wouldn't be safe walking in a haunted woods with a full moon shining down on our feet, it might be  better for us, but not for regular human beings who've already struggled enough and are now forced on the move again.  We quarreled a bit as I persisted on my plan of taking the safer option while my mate persisted on his.

"You don't know vampires like I do." Alucard bared his teeth.

"You don't know people like I do." I struck my staff down.

In the end, Greta stepped in, ordering us to stop squabbling like jackals when we both worried the same thing. "We just want everyone safe at our place. Do you think it'll make any difference if we travel by day or night?" I asked, already at my nerves' end.

"Personally I don't. We're already an open target as is, and the night creatures wouldn't give two shits if they catch us beneath the sun or moon."

Alucard took that chance and heavily advised Greta to move everyone quickly under the night when the dark forces wouldn't expect us too.

So here we were,  escorting a group a weathered villagers and refugees through a haunted woods beneath the full moon.  Prime demon hunting time, and us a walking buffet.

I  walked on the side, scoping out for danger while keeping near the end of our traveling band in case of stragglers. The unicorn kept his horn shining to light the way, and perhaps the travelers' weary hearts too. They watched us pass with hope in their eyes, and one woman murmured a prayer of thanks. Loved ones held hands, children murmured excitedly among themselves. When I passed Amara and Morgan with their baby, Amara waved over and quietly thanked me.

"You're welcome, but save your thanks for when we get there. It's not as scary of a place as you think. Once we're settled, I'll give you the grand tour." I spoke loud enough for the surrounding travelers to hear.