Castle Dracula

edited 10/3/23

I remained with the Speaker caravan for several days as it wound its way through the heart of Wallachia. My time was spent riding in my cart, watching the scenery pass by of roving mountains and deep forests. More often I walked alongside the cart with my staff, taking it all in while keeping an eye out for night creatures. We'd stop every few hours to rest and water the horses, sitting inside a circle of carts as we rested and ate.

At dusk we'd stop traveling and make camp, it was too dangerous to travel at night when the night creatures and vampires were most active. Though I didn't see them, I heard them prowling in the shadows of the woods, their ragged snarls and heavy breaths sent prickled down my skin. "Do not worry." Vivian murmured, huddled under the blanket beside me. "The ward we set up around the caravan will keep them at bay, and if they're stupid enough to test it we have our sentries taking up patrol."

"Have they tried before?" I asked nervous.

"They have." Vivian said casually, but usually they give up and search for an easier meal. Best to stay inside the ring though, they're waiting." I saw their glowing hungry eyes when I stepped out to relieve myself by the side of the cart one night, let's just say that was probably the shortest potty break in history.

"Always waiting." Vivian murmured when I settled back in with her. I tried fall back asleep again but the thought of those things lurking in the shadows right outside our cart didn't ease my nerves. "You are safe here, traveler." Vivian wrapped her arm around my waist and I became relaxed by her presence, looking at the other Speakers nestled together in their sleep. Speakers were a very tight knit community and shared sleeping spaces with each other for comfort and protection. I definitely understood it now.

I noticed the swath of the night creatures' destruction when our caravan passed destroyed villages and burned farmlands. "We should have been able to protect them." Vivian said morosely. "But most of them would rather die than be saved by sorcerers." I thought of the farmers who took me in and shuddered, retreating into the cart like an injured animal and remaining inside for the rest of the day. Only emerging at night to relieve my bladder. (I really should make it a plan to go before before it gets dark.)

"Vivian?" I nudged her frightened. "I think we're being attacked." 

She and the rest of the women in the cart sprung up, their hands glimmering with magic. "What where!?" 

"I heard moaning coming from the bushes at the edge of the ward. I think those demons attacked one of ours." I looked around and noticed someone was missing. "Wait where's Anya!?"

The Speakers shrugged and returned to their sleep, while a few snickered under their breaths. "Seriously we must help her!" "Relax." Mary reassured. "Anya is perfectly safe, she is within the ward's borders, and so is Caleb."

"Wait Caleb's out there too? Why would they both be out in the middle of the night when there's night creatures looking for a midnight snack? Why was she moaning like that?" 

"Why indeed?" Vivian chuckled. "Go back to sleep, my innocent stranger. Don't worry about any of this." She was right not to worry, because the next day Caleb and Anya kept looking at each other strangely, smirking back and forth in a secret language.

Humans are so freaking weird.

Eventually my destination drew near. The Elder summoned me and we spoke privately in his cart. "Castle Dracula approaches, soon we will be skirting the border of its lands and we will have to part ways." I nodded fully understanding. "Thank you for taking me in and letting me hitch a ride. I'll never forget your kindness."

The Elder smiled. "Anything to help a traveler find her way, and you are no ordinary traveler." Something glimmered in his eyes. "Do you know how we Speakers learned magic?"