Redemption

They chained me in the palace of the Heavenly Court. Pinioned my wings and shackled my limbs. The darkness of the prison cell tortured me as much as the binding fetters. Angels weren't meant to be chained and caged in darkness. I feared this was my eternal punishment for rebelling against them.

The only light was the soul of my son.

He'd visit me whenever he could, a beacon among the shadows. I'd get as close to the prison bars as the chains let me, reaching my fettered hand through the bars to touch him. Hold his hand, caress his cheek. My darling boy. A child should never see their parent like this. Was he ashamed of me?

He told me he wasn't, that he was proud of me and I did the right thing. Every time he visited me, he whispered I didn't deserve this. I wiped the tears from his face, holding him until the guards came and took him away, curling up miserably and rattling my bounds. He was the only solace in all of this. If they stopped letting him visit, then I would truly give into despair. Hell itself would be a relief.

I feared it came to fruition when a soul entered the prison, and it wasn't my son. "Don't be afraid, I want to help you." It was a human woman, she stood at the bars, a bright light.  I growled startled, hissing as my chains rattled from shuffling towards the bars on  all fours.  No mortal should see an angel like this.  The guards propped their spears at ready.

When I looked at her soul, I recognized her.  "You remember me don't you?" The soul said  with a motherly warmth.  "You saved me during that blizzard. My husband said it was you, but I never believed him. Not until now. In life I was a doctor, I wanted to heal people, but they didn't understand me. Humans fear what they don't understand." I heard the awe in her voice. "You're beautiful." I hissed when she reached a hand toward me, but lowered myself and reached for her. Her hand was like a child's in my large clawed one.

"They were wrong for locking you up and caging you like a beast. What you did wasn't a crime. I've spoken with them, and with your son. I think I've convinced them to lighten your punishment. It's a miracle they were willing to hear me out."

I cocked my head and chittered like a bird.

"I needed to, it's really my fault you were imprisoned at all. If they hadn't burned me..." She cut herself short.  "Don't give up hope. We'll figure this out, Valerius and I. He's safe, Uriel and Azrael are working with him. Those two think fondly of you, and the fact you have some of the great Archangels on your side is a good sign. Whatever may happen, it's going to be all right. Don't give up hope while it still remains."

She was right. When I stood among the hierarchy, she vouched for me. They listened. I was still punished, however. I was to walk among Earth in human flesh and  protect her living son.  Guard him and learn from him, like a Guardian would.  Easy enough, little below my social status, maybe, but doable, and way better than languishing chained in that cell.

However, there was a catch.

In this task not only would I be locked in human form, but bereft of my memory. I wouldn't remember anything, not the things I've done nor the people I've loved.

I nearly wept, but my son embraced me, saying it was okay. Even if I forgot him, he would never forget me, and he would always love me. I made sure he was the last thing I saw when Gabriel burned my wings and cast me from the heavens for good.

The last words I heard in my old memory were 'I love you.' and 'watch over my dear boy for me.'

                                                                                ....