Strange Lodgings and Stranger Company

*EDITED 4/14/22*

"An angel!?" I cried disbelieved.

"Yes." Alucard replied as a matter of fact. "It all points to that conclusion. You awaken in a burning field devoid of memory with your back feeling aflame, you understand things that you otherwise wouldn't know, and you carry yourself like you are new to this world. The way you move, how you react to your surroundings, it's as if you're experiencing the world for the first time. Like you are getting used to this body you've found yourself in."

"Me. A hapless young woman with no memory, an angel." I chuckled nervously. "That's funny, you're funny. I've heard a lot of doozies in my short days, but that one? That one takes the cake!"

 "I'm not being funny." Alucard growled low. "And I know you're not either. I hear it in your pulse and your voice, this scares you."

"Or course it scares me!" I snapped. "I traveled for leagues, nearly getting killed by night creatures hoping to get  answers at this castle, only find more questions. Now there's a high possibility that I'm not human."

"Oh don't worry, you're human." Alucard reassured. "At least you are now, though it might not have always been the case."

"You're  not helping, vampire."

" Believe me I am. I took you in and set you up with a warm bath instead of ripping your throat out didn't I?" He cocked a brow with a smirk.   "Listen, whatever happened, has happened. Do not dwell on the past, or what may be. Focus on the present."

"Okay. I'm focusing how much my foot hurts like a bitch." I rolled my shoulder muscles. "My back even more so." 

Alucard's laugh startled me. He didn't seem the kind that laughed very often. " I'll have that wrapped in a bandage, and there's ointment for your scars to ease the pain."

"Thanks." I said. "Now if only there was a remedy of  getting my memory back." 

"I heard a sharp blow to the head is a way of resurfacing lost memories." Alucard suggested humorously (I think).

 "Try that and I'll whack you with a sharp blow to the head." I snarked back. "I may not know how to wield a sword or knife, but I have a staff and I'm not afraid to use it."

Alucard chuckled as if it had been the first time in years. "I think  I might like you."

.....

Alucard left me alone to change and I dressed into a long and loose fitting gown that gave modest covering . He gave me a long look before gently leading me to the infirmary where he would tend my wounds. I gazed in wide eyed awe at the surrounding infirmary. "Are you sure you don't do magic? Because this looks like a wizard's lair."

"How would you know what a wizard's lair looks like?" Alucard murmured, searching the closest shelf for vials.

 "I don't know, it just looks like a place where a wizard would live." I was being honest, the infirmary looked like a place of magic and alchemy. Four grand shelves lined each wall organized with labeled vials, a large desk sat on the right side lined with plants and notebooks. In the center of the room stood a two rows of a dozen beds, their linens grey with dust. "How are you going to heal my foot? Are you going to use those potions?"

"They're not potions."Alucard explained. "They're salves. They are used to help heal injures and prevent infection, but the one I'm looking for will soothe pain." He picked a vial with a white pasty substance in it. "Here it is." I watched him open a drawer in the desk and take out a huge roll of bandages. He asked me to sit on a bed as he put my injured foot on a stool. I winced, but I didn't shy away knowing he was here to help me. "It's swollen." Alucard observed. "Wrapping it in a bandage will help it go down, and allow you to walk better. Just hold still and don't move okay? It's going to be tight but I'll try not to hurt you."