Sanctuary

Stepping  onto the balcony, I watched the refugees set up camp. Tents sprawled in front of the castle's entrance, and a cookfire lit serving broth made of the supplies from our enormous pantries. It was only noon, and the refugees of Danesti and the surrounding lands already set up shop.

"They've established themselves so quickly, it's like they're used to moving from place to place in a short amount of time." I wrapped my cloak around me feeling a chill in the air. "I hope they don't feel the need to leave as quickly as they have arrived."

I doubted it. Greta  felt comforted by the immense magic presence guarding the castle. "I think this will do. Get some rest, we can manage from here."

"You sure? The castle is huge and very disorienting to newcomers, I want to make sure people feel at home, and don't accidentally get lost."

"We're smart enough not to wander far." Greta assured . I also offered to show her where the armory, pantries , and rooms of importance were. "Leave that to me ." Alucard said with a loving warmth in his eyes. "Rest. All is well and everyone is safe." I nodded, listening to him and my body's overwhelming demand to rest. I really pushed myself to the limit walking all night and working my powers to their near tipping point.

I have to be more mindful. My powers are growing stronger each day, but I still have a human body. I can't go all out every time a Night Creature shows its teeth. Last night I needed to, but now in the safety of our castle walls.....

I could really use a good nap.

I showered myself, thoroughly washing off the blood, sweat, and dirt accumulating on my skin over the past two days. "My God. RUNNING WATER!!" I groaned, feeling the relieving mass of heated water run down my hair and skin. "Life is beautiful!" After dressing, I used a cleansing spell on my cloak and garb. Not a mindful use of my magic, I know, but far less energy than washing and drying them.

I fell dead asleep when I hit the pillows, curling myself up beneath the blankets. I worried I slept the whole day away when the sunlight kissed my eyes. It was only noon, I stirred, stretching and putting on my now clean clothes before stepping out on the balcony, watching the activity below.

"I hope they find the sanctuary they need." I took my staff and walked leisurely through the corridors, passing by a few curious villagers gazing at the old portraits and archaic banners. "Good day to you." I greeted them as I passed by. They greeted me in equal friendliness, some even blessing me thankful.

Humans in Dracula's castle that are not vampire hunters or a dinner menu, unbelievable.

I did my rounds, checking on Teresa planting her seeds in an open patch of the garden and Argyle in the stables tending to his animals. "There's enough in here to feed an army!" Laura exclaimed while checking the food inventories with other villagers. "Surely you and the vampire can't eat all that much."

"Alucard likes to keep extra food just in case we're stuck inside. That's also got a lot to do with me, I eat a lot. Magic takes up an immeasurable amount of energy."

"Might not just be magic." Her husband muttered, helping sort out vegetables while sitting on a chair with his foot bandaged. Laura gave him a reprimanding nudge. "That's a rude thing to assume!"

"It's fine." I laughed reassuringly. "I assure you I am not. How are you finding the castle?"

"Huge and overwhelming." Laura remarked honestly. "But it's safe. You've got strong walls and even stronger magic guarding this place. Thank you for offering us your home."

"You're welcome. Think nothing of it."

In the main atrium, sunlight poured through the open gate. The refugees stored their carts and belongings on the side of the walls. All eyes glued to me when I passed them by. Murmurings of thanks and blessings passed their lips in quiet.